Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use starch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-starch-t277787.html)

sewingsuz 04-16-2016 04:28 PM

I use stay flow and delute with water 50/50

Patches1900 04-16-2016 06:30 PM

I buy the concentrated starch and mix my own - brands I have used are Linit and Sta-Flo; there are probably others. Most major grocery stores and Wal-mart normally carry at least one brand. Very economical and I can mix it light or heavy as needed in a spray bottle that fits my hand well and won't tip over. No clogging either!

sherian 04-16-2016 06:52 PM

I make starch, started from older blogs here. I use Stay-Flo, water 25% - 50% (depends on strength needed) then 20% or less Vodka keeps the starch from getting spoiled for lack of a better word. Also add a scent, few drops of liquid scent. Vanilla, pumpkin, lilac etc. Love thanks to older blogs from here.

quiltingshorttimer 04-16-2016 07:01 PM

I use it only if doing lots of bias cutting (like HST) or if the fabric seems to fray a lot. Otherwise I don't use. sometimes use Best Press if the block has lots of seams and I need to get it pressed flat.

citruscountyquilter 04-17-2016 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7524706)
I always use starch when doing any piecing with a bias cut, like HST. I starch my yardage before I cut. My local store carries StaFlo in half gallons, so that's what I use. I dilute it 50/50 and dip starch. As mentioned, you need to give the fabric time to absorb the starch, so I put the dampened fabric in a plastic bag for a half hour or so. If I get side tracked & won't get to it in a half hour, I stick the bag in the refrigerator.

This is what I do but spray instead of dip. I have a dishpan that I spray into to keep the mess contained. Letting it sit is key because it allows the starch to absorb into the fibers of the fabric. I never have flakes when I do this. It takes some planning and patience (not to press right away) but it is well worth it. The liquid starch that you dilute is also so economical. It makes a huge difference when cutting some pieces.

As far as bugs go I live in Florida where there are bugs, bugs and more bugs and have never had any problems with them in my starched fabric or quilts. The quilts get washed when they are done being quilted but the fabric sits until I'm ready to use it again. I try to estimate how much fabric I'll need for a project and starch that much but I always have some left over that I save for other projects.

117becca 04-17-2016 03:58 AM

i use starch too....whatever comes in the spray can. After i put the block together, i'll spray the block after i finish putting it together, while it's still wet, i can square up the block and press it - making it ready to be put into the final quilt.

NatalieF 04-17-2016 04:11 AM

I starch, I just find the fabric easier to handle for piecing when starched. Unfortunately, in Canada you cannot find concentrated starch such as Sta-flo. There's only starch in spray cans and I don't want the chemicals.

I've made my own spray starch out of corn starch that I like, but the downside of spraying is that you don't get it evenly over all of the fabric, especially the edges. So I've taken to dip starching with cornstarch. I can adjust the starch concentration to what I want and it gives beautiful results. It's economical too!

coopah 04-17-2016 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7524816)
Walmart is the only place I could find Sta Flo but they don't have it anymore. Don't know where I'll get it when my current supply runs out. I remember my mom putting the starched ironing in the fridge back in the day.

I ordered Sta Flo through Amazon Prime. We had to buy a box of six.

UncleGravy 04-17-2016 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by kjackson (Post 7524688)
I was watching a YouTube video and the quilt maker was going on about starching her blocks, and how she only uses high-quality, non flaking starch. I'm pretty sure my local store only sells Niagara.

So, do you use starch and if so, what kind and where do you get it?

Thanks,

Karen

Niagra for me. I also use Terial Magic if I need to cut on my silhouette cameo.

teri lynne 04-17-2016 04:31 AM

iron or press yardage after starching

After "starching" yardage do you iron or press the fabric?