Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use a stiletto? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-stiletto-t219248.html)

patchsamkim 04-16-2013 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6004430)
I use my seam ripper, thread nips, pointed tweezers, hemostats, scissor point, whatever is handy when I need it! If I ever run across someone selling porcupine quills, I'm gonna get one just for the coolness factor!

Many years ago I got a porcupine quill as a gift from a quilting friend. Love it! I don't always use a stiletto, but sure am glad when I remember to!

Stitchnripper 04-16-2013 05:03 AM

I use mine. Sometimes it is the real stiletto, sometimes "that purple thang", sometimes seam ripper, etc. Comes in handy to keep the fabric on path at the end of a block.

nanny quilts 04-16-2013 05:05 AM

I use a chop stick that i put into a pencil sharpener and brought it to a point, its long enough that you dont have to fight and you can put pressure on it without it breaking

soccertxi 04-16-2013 07:12 AM

I use a Purple Thang. I have them stashed everywhere! I once ran over my finger, pad side up, and nicked my finger nail from the inside. I nearly passed out. After that, I never put my finger ANYWHERE near the needle. didn't know I put it near the needle before that, but guess I had to have done it to run over my own finger! Sheesh! (oh, and I had to have a tetanus shot too. )

pittsburgpam 04-16-2013 07:20 AM

I use a Purple Thang, works great.

DOTTYMO 04-16-2013 07:25 AM

I use the same as some others first thing at hand. Using an awl at present. Have bee known to use tweezers seam rippers especially a broken one. .It is far safer using anything other than your finger. I believe it is very pain ful sewing your finger.

Holice 04-16-2013 07:44 AM

Quilter's Rule has porcupine quills if you should be at a show where they have a booth. They are neat. I bought a hand full to have one in every location where I have a machine.

wesing 04-16-2013 08:45 AM

I used a seam ripper for a few things but like many of you I dreaded the possibility of hitting it with the needle. I found a set of bamboo knitting needles for less than $5 and now I use them. I don't use one all the time, but they are very handy for small pieces and for binding. Now that I have gotten used to using one I do find I use it more.

Darren

Kathy Osterby 04-16-2013 08:52 AM

I've used really thin knitting needles and my seam ripper.

Joyce29 04-16-2013 09:15 AM

So many good replies. With so many HST's to make I find myself trying different things. I might pick up the seam ripper, or use the tip of the scissors. I've tried guiding the triangle with my left hand, not removing my hand/fingers too soon but letting them glide to the left of the presser foot. I like the idea of using a soft tipped cuticle pusher as it would "grip" the fabric. I just need to find one of them. - This Board is great. Sure appreciate all your suggestions.