Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you use a walking foot to machine quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-walking-foot-machine-quilt-t49596.html)

littlehud 06-14-2010 08:32 AM

I love my built in walking foot on my Pfaff. I use it to quilt in the ditch. If I am free motion quilting I use a darning or free motion foot.

quiltinggrandmaca 06-14-2010 08:38 AM

I too use my darning foot for fmq. I'm not very good at it, but I try.

sueisallaboutquilts 06-14-2010 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Free Motion Quilting.

I use a walking foot for quilting most any design with gentle curves. You have to go very slow almost a stitch at a time for the intricate designs. I started doing more with the walking foot after reading this book: One Line at a Time: 24 Geometric Machine-Quilting Designs Made Easy by
Charlotte Warr Andersen

BellaBoo, thank you!!!!!!! I'm just getting my feet wet with machine quilting :D I will get that book, thanks again :thumbup:

Linda B 06-14-2010 01:37 PM

Absolutely on the walking foot. My Pfaff has an integrated walking foot that I almost never disengage. I would try to piece anything, quilt or clothing, without it.

mamaw 06-14-2010 04:11 PM

The walking foot is a must in order for your layers to move correctly.

walen 06-15-2010 05:34 AM

I absolutely love my Bernina 730E. I have never had any problem FM quilting or with using the walking foot for geometric designs. If your Bernina is fussy about quilting, you should contact your dealer for advice. It should quilt like a dream!

DeniseP 06-15-2010 05:40 AM

I love your puppy!!!My dealer is not very good at helping me with anything. My machine did not come with a walking foot and when I called about buying one the cost is $165. I just bought one for my Singer instead.
My Bernina also embroiders, does yours?

grammyp 06-15-2010 05:57 AM

I use my walking foot for everything except curvy piecing.

DeniseP 06-15-2010 06:15 AM

Thanks so much for all your comments and advice. I ordered a walking foot this morning from Singer so I know it will fit. I will also use lower loft batting so that I don't have to fight so much to get it through the machine. Happy quilting to all of you!!!
My 1st grandbaby is due next week, can't wait!

momymom 06-15-2010 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by walen
I absolutely love my Bernina 730E. I have never had any problem FM quilting or with using the walking foot for geometric designs. If your Bernina is fussy about quilting, you should contact your dealer for advice. It should quilt like a dream!

I have the 153, it was made for quilting. I was lucky, my DH did the computer work for the shop for awhile. We got to know the owner that way. Customer service was great!! The owner of the shop also was the service tech for Bernina. My machine came with the walking foot, and others related to quilting. Sounds like you need to find another dealer, but that is problematic because they are spread out. Maybe you can find another dealer online for tech. support????