Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you use your library to get quilting books, videos? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-use-your-library-get-quilting-books-videos-t49783.html)

I go To The Sea To Breathe 06-15-2010 06:27 PM

I do also. In fact at our library you can get as many books out as you want. So I get a lot of quilting books. But I was really stupid and I haven't been making notes on where to find ones I really like...Live and Learn,

wvdek 06-15-2010 07:08 PM

Although we have a fairly new beautiful library, they don't have many quilting books. I have checked out everyone they have and then some.

gzuslivz 06-15-2010 07:30 PM

I went through the library resources a long time ago. Like a lot of you, the quilting books in my library system are quite old. I share with friends, get free patterns online and buy. We do use the library to keep my DM in audio books. So far, she hasn't read them all!

oatw13 06-15-2010 07:40 PM

I use it all the time to check out quilt books and more! I go online to the website and put items on hold. I usually search by author or just general terms so I get more results (If I am not looking for something specific.) Then when I go to the library, I can walk right in and pick up my books from the hold area.

Sometimes I browse the "sewing and quilting" area but our library doesn't carry many. The books I place on hold usually come from another library in the district.

buckeyed 06-15-2010 07:42 PM

Never thought of the Library for Quilting books sounds like a good idea. I may just have to go take a look to see what they have.

kapatt 06-15-2010 08:24 PM

Yes, I use my library for my quilting books and magazines. I can get the back issues of several quilting magazines.

I don't keep the books for very long. I use the library to check out unknown (but recommended) books. That way, I can evaluate whether I want to buy that book for my own library. :thumbup:

sewnsewer2 06-15-2010 08:48 PM

I just checked out a quilt book today to get some new ideas.
Of course I had to get a new library card, mine expired.

Sandy1951 06-15-2010 11:16 PM

I love our local library; it's quite large compared to the size of our town. It's also my second home; I'd rather read than do anything else. Our library has quite a large selection of quilting books and subscribes to two quilting magazines, "Quilter's Newsletter" and another (the name escapes me). I think I've read all the back copies of both.

Our library is part of a consortium of Ohio libraries so I order lots of books our library doesn't have. In fact, I'm next in line to get Harriet and Carrie Hargraves' "Quilters' Academy Volume I" and Judy Martin's "Stellar Quilts." No one has "Quilters' Academy Volume II" yet, although it was published about a week ago.

Irishlady 06-16-2010 03:08 AM

I use the library all the time, for quilting books and audio books to listen to while sewing. If I find a quilting book I really like and I know I'll use it a lot I usually go on to Amazon and buy it.

taj334 06-16-2010 04:29 AM

You bet I do! My library has a great inter library search that helps get you any book that any library in the county has. I requested "Egg Money Quilts" and renewed it 5 times. Finally I had to return it, but what a help. I would definitely recommend it. With the internet, library services are really 21st century.