Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-visit-your-local-quilt-shops-regularly-t51270.html)

Teresa 54 06-25-2010 04:59 AM

I need to sound off today (Vent)! I work in my local quilt shop part time to feed my addiction (fabric & thread)and to have the best fabrics available for my hard work, unfortunately, she is going out of business, the rent has gone up, people are penny pinching, classes aren’t filling either. At this point, if things don't improve the other (3) quilt shops in (2 hours away) driving distance will close also. What a shame. Quilters talk about buying fabric at the Wal-Mart’s -who by the way buy the cheapest gray runs or off grade fabrics. Or quilters go to trade shows and spend their money there, or go on the internet. It is a jungle out there-visit your LQS; it feels good when you go shopping there. Small business quilt shops are suffering. This would be helping Our Own. These quilt shops didn't go into business to get rich - they are there because they felt the need and they love the art and helping people like you and me.
I have also made quilts with clothing from my husbands shirt- beautiful king size quilt - 5 years later - all those triangles are worn away, now it will take me months to replace-applique all new triangles - Boy - that wasn't worth saving the money on that! I should have gone with 1st grade quilting fabric to begin with. Never Again.

craftybear 06-25-2010 05:02 AM

Hello, I went into my local quilt shop the other day, owner and 2 employees were in there and not one asked me if I needed any help, I finally walked out after 25 minutes

craftybear 06-25-2010 05:02 AM

Walmart doesn't carry fabric in my area, will have to drive to another LQS

Teresa 54 06-25-2010 05:05 AM

did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.

daniellern76 06-25-2010 05:08 AM

I have been visiting my LQS frequently. I am blessed to have quite a few in my area, some due to the large mennonite population nearby. I do buy some of my fabrics from Joann when the budget is tighter. Fabrics at my LQS run anywhere from $8.75 to $14.00 a yard. I do like their fabrics better though! I hope that all good, domestic arts aren't coming to a slow end. It's harder and harder to find people (especially in my age group) who take the time to do things like quilting, baking and making jam.. Little "old fashioned" things that my grandmothers did, and I am learning and hope to pass on to my children and grandchildren someday! Most of my friends don't even iron for their families let alone know how to make a quilt or a homemade pie crust! LOL

CAROLJ 06-25-2010 05:10 AM

I buy used, off line, and from the LQS. I am on a budget I can't afford to always buy top of the line.

The economy is bad, we bail out big business because they are to "big to fail." But we have forgotten the little business.

I have no answer for the way things are. There use to be a volunteer agency called Small Business Bureau, that would help businesses with a plan for sucess.

raptureready 06-25-2010 05:13 AM

There are several LQS in my area plus a Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and Joanns. There are three very local (within 30 minutes) and 7 or 8 that are within an hour. The only time I shop online is if I can't find what I want there. When I'm on vacation I go to fabric stores there. I try to get to Joanns, Hancocks, and two of the three other stores at least once a month but sometimes I don't always make it. One of those shops I go to more than once a month and that is Threads of Time in Danville, Il. The reason I go there more often is that they have a really broad spectrum of fabric, patterns and notions, a very friendly staff, and a retreat center. Plus for every dollar I spend I get reward points that I can redeem there. The reward points can go toward cutters, thread, fabric, cutting mats, or even free stays at the retreat center,(usually $35 a night). However, I must say that in this economy people have to really watch their money anyway they can. I don't buy nearly as much as I'd like to.

craftybear 06-25-2010 05:18 AM

was in another town and hadn't been in there for a long time, the owner was on the phone and she never looked up at me, 1 of them was behind the counter reading a book and the other one was sewing

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
did you say hello to them? did you ask for help? I really feel like it goes both ways.
I personally greet each potential customer walking in the door but most shops don't do that.

QBeth 06-25-2010 05:23 AM

All the LQSs in my area are at least 45 minutes to an hour away. At least once a month, I try to get to my favorite LQS. They're all very friendly, know my name, and are very helpful. They offer a Friday night and a Sunday morning sewing session, or any weekday, where you can bring in a project or UFO for only $5 per hour. Well worth it, if just for the camaraderie of fellow quilters!

Lord knows I have enough fabric!! But, I always try to buy something when I'm there because (1) I appreciate all the free help I get and (2) I want them to stay in business for their sakes as well as mine! Being open on a Sunday must be a sacrafice of their time (they're open seven days a week); my guess, if this is one way that helps them to stay open, then it's what they're going to do. Plus, IMO, it's a smart thing to do; i.e., what quilter can go into a nice, friendly, LQS without leaving with something?! :-) Even if we already have enough?!!

pollyjvan9 06-25-2010 05:30 AM

I buy fabric everywhere. If it is for something very special, or a special expensive pattern, I buy from LQS. However, since quilting is my ONLY hobby, entertainment, luxury budget item I buy a lot (for me). A couple of hundred a month. Sometimes more, plus magazines and books which usually runs around $75. I buy thrift, garage sale, etc., fabric for scrap quilts, pet quilts, kids drag around quilts. I can make more for the next 10 years or so. I have made several what I consider heirloom quality quilts and hope the fabric I put into them will hold up. If I put my $200 a month into LQS fabric, I wouldn't have much.