Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone on the board use a Husqvarna Viking fab-u-motion? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-board-use-husqvarna-viking-fab-u-motion-t209396.html)

kathymarie 12-27-2012 12:57 PM

Does anyone on the board use a Husqvarna Viking fab-u-motion?

HI all.....I bought a used HV Fab-U-Motion to use with my Sapphire 830. Unfortunately I bought it as-is and a small plastic piece was broken causing the table to tilt...but DH fixed it with a piece of wire. Do any of you use one? I watched the accompanying dvd with Sue Hausmann but frankly I'm a bit disappointed with it, especially on smaller pieces. So I wondered if any of you have any "tips" in using one. Thanks so much....

PaperPrincess 12-27-2012 02:21 PM

I have one that I've used twice. First time worked like a charm, but must have been beginner's luck because I never got it to work well after that... I got the large one for the Diamond.

janRN 12-27-2012 02:42 PM

I've had one for about 4 years. Used it a total of 3 hours. The Sue Hausman video made it look so easy but I could never get the hang of it. It's in the box under the bed where I hit my toe on it every night. Mine has the larger sewing area but I still couldn't move anything larger than a table runner with it. I hope you have better luck than I did and learn to enjoy it. I'd like to sell mine since I recently purchased the HQ Sweet16 sit down so I'll never pull the Fabumover thingy out from under the bed unless I move.

thimblebug6000 12-27-2012 05:59 PM

I have the Sapphire 870 and watched & used the fab-u-motion in the shop.... but everytime I tried to figure it out in my mind... I kept coming back to that little opening about 5 x 7 " that you could stitch & then have to stop & reposition your hands.... I guess if someone gave it to me... I would invest some time in trying to learn it but I sure wasn't interested in spending big $$ in something that wouldn't work for something larger than a wall hanging in my opinion.

Shelbie 12-27-2012 06:47 PM

Everyone that I have ever heard of that has had one of these marvelous "things"has been unhappy. I think that it was a good idea that just didn't work. I'm sorry that you are stubbing your toes Jan but it is probably something that should just be tossed out as a very bad experience that also cost a lot of money.

quiltsRfun 12-28-2012 11:44 AM

I hope you didn't pay as much for yours as I did for mine. I consider it a major spending error. Never could get the hang of it. I did a lot of practicing and was never totally happy with it. Used it for one quilt with disappointing results. Sorry to be so negative. Maybe you'll have more success than I did.

Milli 12-28-2012 06:20 PM

I do it isn't as easy as the DVD shows, you need patience and a lot of caffeine , I practiced practiced and still had to some ripping but kept at it and now wouldn't do without it.

quiltsRfun 12-28-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Milli (Post 5746388)
I do it isn't as easy as the DVD shows, you need patience and a lot of caffeine , I practiced practiced and still had to some ripping but kept at it and now wouldn't do without it.

Milli, good for you. Guess I just didn't keep at it long enough.

slk350 12-28-2012 11:26 PM

Well, I must be dumb...I have no idea what you all are talking about. What is a HV fab-u-motion ?? Is it an extension table for the machine quilting ?? Thanks

quiltsRfun 12-29-2012 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by slk350 (Post 5746755)
Well, I must be dumb...I have no idea what you all are talking about. What is a HV fab-u-motion ?? Is it an extension table for the machine quilting ?? Thanks

It's a free motion quilting assistant with a stitch regulator that you attach to compatible sewing machines. The quilt rests on a movable frame and the machine speed is controlled by how fast you move the fabric.