Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone else have this problem? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-else-have-problem-t74832.html)

Gilla 11-07-2010 06:50 AM

I start out trying to make a lap quilt or table topper and wind up with a queen size quilt because I am too cheap to waste fabrics or else I can't stop while I am ahead. Then they sit there waiting..... I have four UFO's waiting to be finished. I can't figure out what I want to do with them. I have no idea what backing to use (or have any available in my stash) and I definitely don't have the batting yet. Now I have all kinds of visions to start something else and I have no idea where I am going with those.
Is there something wrong with me? Why can't I finish work before starting something new? I keep wanting to quilt.

deema 11-07-2010 07:00 AM

I'm just about finished quilting a double that started out as a lap size. Oops. :) I had intended to put borders on it, but decided against it. It's already WAY bigger than I planned and borders would just make it worse!

I *have* to finish what I start - it's a compulsion. I have a supply of batting (random kinds) that is almost as big as my supply of fabric (but seems bigger because batting folds bigger than fabric...lol). I will sometimes do a few small projects in the midst of a big one, but I always finish those too, before moving on.

For quilts (lap sized +), I use bed sheets for backing because I hate piecing the back - they're always big enough! :lol: I just take my quilt top (or swatches of the fabrics used in it) shopping with me and find one that coordinates. I also will pick up flat sheets on sale when I see them, or even sheet sets, and cut the elastic corners out of the fitted sheet. I try to stick to neutral colours or colours I *know* I have in my stash so I know it will match *something* and get used. lol

sewgull 11-07-2010 07:02 AM

You are notmal. Just stand back, take a flashlight shine it on all unfinished projects. Then stop on one, this is the starting project. Hope this will help get you a begining place.

pocoellie 11-07-2010 07:05 AM

I do the same thing. LOL

quiltingaz 11-07-2010 07:09 AM

I have lots of projects waiting to be quilted. Some are just too big for me to tackle on home machine, waiting for LA, can't afford all at once.

I just make quilts the size I want and rest of fabric goes in stash for another quilt. Scrappy ones are fun to design. I buy batting in quantity when Joann's has a sale so always have a stash. Leftover pieces are great for runners and placemats.

dar627742 11-07-2010 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by deema
I'm just about finished quilting a double that started out as a lap size. Oops. :) I had intended to put borders on it, but decided against it. It's already WAY bigger than I planned and borders would just make it worse!

I *have* to finish what I start - it's a compulsion. I have a supply of batting (random kinds) that is almost as big as my supply of fabric (but seems bigger because batting folds bigger than fabric...lol). I will sometimes do a few small projects in the midst of a big one, but I always finish those too, before moving on.

For quilts (lap sized +), I use bed sheets for backing because I hate piecing the back - they're always big enough! :lol: I just take my quilt top (or swatches of the fabrics used in it) shopping with me and find one that coordinates. I also will pick up flat sheets on sale when I see them, or even sheet sets, and cut the elastic corners out of the fitted sheet. I try to stick to neutral colours or colours I *know* I have in my stash so I know it will match *something* and get used. lol

just a hint....i put my batting in"space bags".they take up SO much less room !
dar

featherweight 11-07-2010 07:13 AM

If they are unfinished, think of all the storage space you are saving. They take up a lot less room if they are just tops.

2livesdown7togo 11-07-2010 01:43 PM

It's only wasted fabric when you throw it out.

I write down/sketch out my visions for use later. Then I make myself finish at least one (limited) project first.

I currently have six UFO's and have given myself a deadline on my current project. The next two will also have deadlines. Then I will let myself start something new, because I believe it's important to have a variety so you can work according to your mood. I have fabric groupings already set aside to use when I'm ready. This is how I satisfy myself so I'm motivated to finish things.

Everyone has their own priorities and goals. You are normal.

skydiver70 11-07-2010 02:00 PM

If you find an answer to why you do this, please let me know.

I can't focus anymore on anything long enough to finish it. I have never had this problem before and it is really worrying me. I told my husband I must have Alzheimers. I hope not. My doctor told me it was that I just had too much on my mind since my Mama and brother passed away.

I have great plans, but the focus isn't there right now.

Gilla 11-07-2010 02:09 PM

I have too many medical problems and can't concentrate. Next week I'll have to have a broncoscopy to find out why I continue having spots on my one remaining lung. (This one worries me as I was diagnosed with lung cancer almost six years ago and am supposed to be in remission.) The following week I will see a neurosurgeon to look at a 1" benign (supposedly)newly discovered brain tumor. It seems to never end.