Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone know what this is? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-know-what-t160361.html)

AshleyR 10-14-2011 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still looking for the perfect machine!
This one is on CL for $60 obo. It's a Brother "used twice" but they didn't know what model number it is. She told me it's a Model T and doesn't have the manual.
So, if you recognize it, let me know! And if you have one, is it worth $60?

Thanks!

I'll add that I already have my $20 Singer for sewing... I am looking for something heavy duty (or heavier duty? Or heavy dutier? Heavier dutier?? lol). Seems like all the machines I am finding are other brand's version of the one I already have.

Rose L 10-14-2011 09:38 AM

It looks very nice. In my opinion, any machine that works well is worth $60. It looks to have lots of decorative stitches on it. Go take it for a test drive!!

AshleyR 10-14-2011 09:42 AM

I'll add that I already have my $20 Singer for sewing... I am looking for something heavy duty (or heavier duty? Or heavy dutier? Heavier dutier?? lol). Seems like all the machines I am finding are other brand's version of the one I already have.

quiltyfeelings 10-14-2011 09:45 AM

regarding brother machines: ONLY buy a computerized brother. If it's computerized and $60, probably a bargain!

Diamondrose 10-14-2011 09:49 AM

If I were looking for heavy duty I'd be looking at the older Singers or something along that line. A lot of the inexpensive newer machines are not what I would call heavy duty.

Lucio 10-14-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I'm still looking for the perfect machine!
This one is on CL for $60 obo. It's a Brother "used twice" but they didn't know what model number it is. She told me it's a Model T and doesn't have the manual.
So, if you recognize it, let me know! And if you have one, is it worth $60?

Thanks!

This looks like the one my quilting class member bought at Costco. If it is, it definately is not heavy duty. She kept burning them out with normal quilting usage but thanks to Costco's excellent return policy she kept getting free replacements.

jrhboxers 10-14-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR

That is the 'other color' version of my Brother Project Runway. They are $95-$100 brand new. But they are ANYTHING but heavy duty. Great for general sewing and okay for piecing.

If you are looking for something HD, you might start looking for a 301 Singer. Nice size, direct drive, and a real workhorse. I have done everything from piecing of quilts to making sail covers to making/remaking jeans. It goes through 6 layers of denim without hesitating. Was even able to handle making purses out of old jeans top portion. i.e. lots of double seams and stuff.

BTW - found my 301 on CL for $80. Just FYI and MHO.

AshleyR 10-14-2011 10:21 AM

Thanks, All! That's what I needed to know... so basically it's a Brother version of what I already have!! (I'm not a big sewing machine user.. maybe I'll just stick with my Simple until she dies!)

Zhillslady 10-14-2011 10:26 AM

Check overstock.com before you buy. They carry a lot of brothers and some are $50-75 new with warranty and manuals. I have one a little higher end by broither than the one in your picture that I use for class and it was $139 on sale at Hancock's last year for $109.

AshleyR 10-14-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Check overstock.com before you buy. They carry a lot of brothers and some are $50-75 new with warranty and manuals. I have one a little higher end by broither than the one in your picture that I use for class and it was $139 on sale at Hancock's last year for $109.

Looking now! Thanks!