Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember quilts that were made to cover bed and pillows (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-quilts-were-made-cover-bed-pillows-t119816.html)

stitchofclass2 04-30-2011 05:35 AM

Does anyone else remember when some quilts were designed and made (in the 70s) where two top rows of the pattern were put on the BACK of the top of the quilt? The quilt was put on the bed, then the pillows were put on top of the quilt and the extra piece of the quilt at the top was brought over the pillows so that you did not have to "tuck" the quilt under the pillows? I never made one that way but thought it was a great idea.

AlwaysQuilting 04-30-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by stitchofclass2
Does anyone else remember when some quilts were designed and made (in the 70s) where two top rows of the pattern were put on the BACK of the top of the quilt?

YES! My aunt, in the 50's and 60's, always called those "French quilts" and "French bedspreads" but I don't know why.
What a good idea to start using again.
Thanks for reminding me.

bisseau 04-30-2011 05:40 AM

Made more like a true bedspread...I like the idea. I do remember pillow runners not the shams of today that you put the pillow into.

quilter1943 04-30-2011 05:43 AM

I do remember reading about doing that. Wow, for a King that would be one BIG quilt. Might think of it for a smaller bed. Thanks for reminding us.

Wonnie 04-30-2011 05:43 AM

Oooh.....what a GREAT idea!!! Wow...we go along "same-o-same-o" forever then someone comes up with a great new idea. Thanks!

Enchanted Quilter 04-30-2011 06:00 AM

Made a few of those in my time . and yes I made a lot of king size boy was that a job had forgotten all about those been awhile. Ha Ha

Wonnie 04-30-2011 06:07 AM

For those who have made these, is there a specific formula for how much you "turn the opposite direction" to have adequate coverage for the pillows?

Rebecca VLQ 04-30-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
For those who have made these, is there a specific formula for how much you "turn the opposite direction" to have adequate coverage for the pillows?

I would measure standard pillows circumference, divide by two (since it just goes "over" them) and then add 4-6 inches.

TonnieLoree 04-30-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by Wonnie

I would measure standard pillows circumference, divide by two (since it just goes "over" them) and then add 4-6 inches.

Yes, the 4-6 extra inches is to tuck in under the pillow. You are not trying to wrap the entire pillow. (Think bedspread)

pollyjvan9 04-30-2011 06:31 AM

I have never heard of this type of quilt. Guess I just wasn't paying attention to quilts in the 70s. I have made a quilt that has a separate panel at the top that went over the pillows. There is a strip between the main part and the pillow part to tuck under the pillows.