Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone remember? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-remember-t176945.html)

caspharm 01-27-2012 02:39 PM

I remember seeing those. I think JoAnn's should go back to those and maybe LQS's as well. I have had a couple of occasions where the edge wasn't too even.

ellenmg 01-27-2012 03:07 PM

Boy oh boy.... I totally forgot about those machines, but totally remember them!

par4theday 01-27-2012 03:07 PM

Funny, I remember those, but until now, I hadn't ever thought about those. I cannot remember who used them, but I shopped at Penny's a lot, it was probably there. And the things on a line that would go up to the office. They put the money in them and pull a string, and up it went, then the change was sent down the same way. It was quit entertaining. Thanks for that trip down memory lane.

mskityocat 01-27-2012 03:15 PM

JoAnn's in Clearwater, Fl still uses one on the wide rolls of oil cloth and upholstry fabrics. So they are still around.

desertrose 01-27-2012 03:25 PM

I sure do remember them....we had them in New England as long as I could remember and I've just moved back but haven't been to any of stores yet to see if they still have them. I never knew what they were called just assumed it was a yardage calculator.

quiltingshorttimer 01-27-2012 04:40 PM

OH! that brought back a flood of memories of going with my Mom to Plummer's Fabric in Springfield MO and touching all the fabric on the racks while my Mom waited to have material measured and cut--then if I'm remembering right the money was put into one of those pneumatic tubes and sent to the office and change sent back. Very neat stuff!

callen 01-27-2012 06:26 PM

I also remember them. Our local Woolco (before it became Walmart in Canada) had one in their fabric department. OMG, am I that dated???????????

quilt3311 01-27-2012 06:27 PM

Yes I remember that little thing to measure fabric. One of the department stores had one years and years ago, they did push the lever down and then would tear the fabric. I was never real happy with the tearing as it sometimes would pull threads for about half an inch. So I lost fabric to the tear. I don't remember what it was called though. Its been probably 50 years since I saw it used.

sewellie 01-27-2012 09:02 PM

Oh, boy, I do remember them. A few years ago I wanted to purchase one but didn't know what they were called. This is the first one that had a name so I could continue my search. The e-bay price is too spendy for me. I wish I could find one at a yard sale or junk store. Oh, well, in my dreams!

mummadee 01-28-2012 05:10 AM

OOh yeah. Never knew what they were called, but it seems that all the stores had them, and they were so much more accurate. Now's the time to bring them back when so many people in non quilt shops have no idea what they're doing, especially kids who have never seen a sewing machine!