Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone use this kind of ruler for cutting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-use-kind-ruler-cutting-t205730.html)

pjnesler 11-13-2012 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5650909)
I haven't seen that model, but my DH has a similar tool for dry wall that I have cleaned up and used quite successfully.

I haven't seen these either, I as well have a dry wall ruler I use often, especially when squaring up.

Scakes 11-13-2012 07:25 AM

Never seen one of these rulers. I like the finger guard - it looks taller than the others I've seen and would protect better I think. Not too sure about cutting along metal edges - might be easier to nick the cutter edges. I will have to watch for it in stores where someone is using it.

seasaw2mch 11-13-2012 09:04 AM

I use metal rulers all the time for some things so yes they are great with a rotary cutter. But you all need to look further into that website, I see where they will cut to size a see thru cutting mat that I think is great because if you have an odd sized table it would be perfect to have a mat to cover it so you could cut any where on it without having to move your mat around like I have to all the time.
With a full sized cutting surface, I can just throw it on the table and cut no matter where I'm standing. I really love that idea.

Oh my, my mind is flying with this. Wouldn't it be great to have a table for cutting with a glass insert for a light box all in one? Using their translucent cutting mat would make it possible. Boy have I got some redesigning to do!

moosie 11-13-2012 09:48 AM

These type of 'rulers' are actually termed Machinist's Straight Edges. They are often used in machining metal. The way you use them in quilting would be to measure in with your ruler from say the right. Place your straight edge along the left side of the clear ruler then press and cut.

The reason they are used is because of the need for extreme accuracy when working in metal. Cloth because of it's properties when woven doesn't require this type of precision so it's really unnecessary for quilting. I have some but don't use them for quilting.

joyce888 11-13-2012 04:10 PM

I personally wouldn't use it because you can't see thru it.

Ioftheneedle 11-13-2012 05:07 PM

This post brings to mind a recent Missouri Star ad. They have a plastic type ruler that has a 'carbine' edge that sharpens your blade as it passes by. Cool if it truly works.

Ioftheneedle 11-13-2012 05:14 PM

Missouri Star advertised a ruler lately that has some kind of 'carbine' edge that sharpens your blade as it rolls by. Cool if it works.

Annaquilts 11-13-2012 05:15 PM

Was it to square up the top or measure how long the borders should be? I have seen them use dry wall rulers at quilt in a day to do that.

dellareya 11-13-2012 06:00 PM

Looks like it would be great for squaring up a big quilt.

caspharm 11-13-2012 06:56 PM

Looks interesting.