Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it ever bother you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-ever-bother-you-t100273.html)

Queen Deb 02-16-2011 08:14 AM

Does it ever bother you to do a block of the month quilt?
I saw one yesterday that was just beautiful and thought I could fit it in to my already crowded sewing schedule. The part that makes me a little uncomfortable is that everyone will be getting the same kit..... do I really want to be making a quilt exactly like so many other people? Does anyone else fret over this kind of stuff?

The quilt is Out of the Darkness and the sample blocks were stunning in person.

Annaquilts 02-16-2011 08:19 AM

I have never done one and yes chosing the fabric and planning it is one of the aspects I like best about quilting so I am not very likely to give it up. The flip side is that hopefully you get a quilt in exactly the colors you want. Often I am drawn to a quilt because of the colors.

nycquilter 02-16-2011 08:20 AM

one of the parts of quilting that I treasure is my own input. I deplore having something like "everyone else"--guess my mom's telling me not to be like everyone else remains a chorus in my head. So, I would buy the patterns and use my own choice of fabrics.

Laurie

jaciqltznok 02-16-2011 08:21 AM

I am doing the patriots in petticoats BOM but only using the patterns, not the fabric line chosen for this quilt.
I am using my own CW repro fabrics instead. I do not like cookie cutter quilts...you know everyone's will be the same!
But some prefer that.

Prism99 02-16-2011 08:21 AM

It wouldn't bother me having a quilt the same as others have. I would just be happy to have a beautiful quilt in the house. My problem would be keeping up with the BOM. It would probably end up a UFO :shock: because I would feel bad about getting so far behind on it.

Connie in CO 02-16-2011 08:22 AM

I think they want way to much.I agree with you,you want your own quilt.How many quilters are going to have the same quilt.
Connie in CO

Mamagus 02-16-2011 08:23 AM

You can buy the "Out of the Darkness" patterns separately and use your own colour choices. That's what I did, tho' I am pretty sure the kit would have been nicer than my fabric choices!

Pam Bono is a wonderful designer isn't she?

Rachel 02-16-2011 08:23 AM

I've done them before, but also struggle with having one just like everyone elses (which is why I don't buy kits), but I just swapped a couple of the fabrics for something else and then it was more my own.

Chrys 02-16-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
It wouldn't bother me having a quilt the same as others have. I would just be happy to have a beautiful quilt in the house. My problem would be keeping up with the BOM. It would probably end up a UFO :shock: because I would feel bad about getting so far behind on it.

DiTTo!!!!

Lori S 02-16-2011 08:32 AM

I do not like the block of the month kits. it takes all of the fun of aniticpating the final results out of the work. I like the suspense and the revealing as the project progresses. It so exciting when I pick my own fabrics and pattern. Its what keeps me going back to the machine!