Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does a fabric stash have an expiration date? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-fabric-stash-have-expiration-date-t32967.html)

omak 01-02-2010 09:11 PM

What do you all really think about the vacuum bags?
The reason I ask is: A number of years ago, people were doing counted cross stitch and other handwork, displaying it under glass, and it was rotting!
Turns out that natural fibers need some air circulation in order to maintain its integrity. If you consider quilts that have survived a hundred years, most of them in unfinished WOOD cabinets ... are we really doing a favor to our fabrics by using the vacuum bags? Might that also be the problem of storing for long periods of time in plastic containers, though it hasn't been a problem for me as of yet ...
and, cardboard boxes ... could it be all this recycling process is creating a less stable form of storage than our forefathers/mothers appreciated?
And, while I am on it ... about that invisible thread stuff ... plastic! I can't imagine how that affects cotton, wool, or silk ...
*stepping down from soapbox* <wave>

Elisabrat 01-02-2010 09:31 PM

I think certain patterns do. I found when I went back over some fabric I had gifted my niece that 10 yrs later a lot was not in style with ME, colors change so you might end up hanging onto something a long time before they are popular again or your "un" sick of them. I just use it as an excuse to.. get newbies.

patricej 01-03-2010 04:27 AM

a stash expires with the current owner.

after that it's a collection of vintage heirlooms.

;-)

Ninnie 01-03-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
a stash expires with the current owner.

after that it's a collection of vintage heirlooms.

;-)

I am soooooooooo going to tell my daughter this. :lol: :lol:

DollyRose 01-03-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by LisaT
Ok you guys have made me feel better all ready.
I'm still going to thin out but at least now I feel like it's okay to hang on to some.
:D

no, fabric doesn't have an expiration date... hehehe, but it does have a 'must feed with other fabric' date :mrgreen:

Bevanger 01-03-2010 05:51 AM

I do alot of scrappies. so for me old & new work just as good

sewjoyce 01-03-2010 05:55 AM

I think that if fabric has an "expiration" date, we're all in BIG trouble :lol: :lol:

Bevanger 01-03-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I think that if fabric has an "expiration" date, we're all in BIG trouble :lol: :lol:

ain't that the trueth. i have a couple pieces that an angel sent me when i first started. i'm still using it.

pocoellie 01-03-2010 06:08 AM

I sure hope not, I've got fabrics from the 80's.LOL

Bevanger 01-03-2010 06:09 AM

If anyone is thinning out their stash, PLEASE send my way. Dang embarrassing to ask. I hate this asking. PLEASE don't think bad of me. I just wanna keep sewing :oops: :oops: :oops: