Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does it need more (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-need-more-t181948.html)

Hand quiltin Grammy 03-07-2012 08:24 AM

Does it need more

1 Attachment(s)
Hello. I just joined this board though I have read posts from it on many occasions. The question I have is concerning a quilt I am working on. I am fairly new to quilting. I'm concerned about the border of this quilt I'm working on. I stenciled it but I just don't know if that is enough quilting for the border. here is a close up of the border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]317971[/ATTACH]
Is that enough quilting? I think it is but I'm not sure. Oh BTW This quilt is being hand quilted. :o Blessings, Debbie Feavel Hand Quiltin Grammy

mighty 03-07-2012 08:33 AM

I think that would be perfect.

fivepaws 03-07-2012 08:33 AM

It looks wonderful. However, without seeing the whole quilt it is hard to tell if it is enough. How wide is the border and does the quilting fit the border or are there lots of inches left on each side? If I were hand-quilting, it would be more than enough.

Hand quiltin Grammy 03-07-2012 08:55 AM

The border is about 10 inches wide and the stincil is 8.5 I believe. The quilt has hearts and little hearts will be quilted inside the 12 inch heart blocks. It has a 5 inch area under the heart that has a name and birthdate embroidered and that is cross hatched. Then the sashings between the blocks have the same pattern as the border only in a smaller version. I would show you a picture but I can't seem to post a new one :-(

Sadiemae 03-07-2012 09:01 AM

Looks great to me!

Lori S 03-07-2012 09:14 AM

I think it looks fine! I have a respect for those that handquilt.... anything, let alone a full size quilt.

Hand quiltin Grammy 03-07-2012 09:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]318004[/ATTACH]
This is as good of a picture as I can get of the quilt and this was before I stenciled it. I hope it helps give you an idea of the quilt with this discription. The outer border is about 10 inches wide and the stincil is 8.5 I believe. The quilt has hearts and little hearts will be quilted inside the 12 inch heart blocks. It has a 5 inch area under the heart that has a name and birthdate embroidered and that is cross hatched. Then the sashings between the blocks have the same pattern as the border only in a smaller version.

I do apprecite your thoughts on the border. I always seem to second guess myself. :-)

scraphq 03-07-2012 01:47 PM

This is a lovely quilt and you've chosen a beautiful quilting design. I am also a hand-quilter. If this quilt is to be hung, I think your border is sufficient. If it is going to be used as a cover the edges will get a lot of wear and tear. I usually quilt diagonal lines, about 1 in. apart, not quilting into the design. Lots of extra work,but it does strengthen the border. Whatever you decide to, your quilt be lovely finished. Happy quilting!

Stitchnripper 03-07-2012 02:09 PM

Your quilt is beautiful and I love your quilting design. I also hand quilt sometimes and like scraphq's suggestions.

QuiltnNan 03-07-2012 02:22 PM

i agree, for the border, that is perfect!