Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does it qualify (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-qualify-t271167.html)

Bree123 10-17-2015 01:35 PM

FMQ is great! Requires planning, artistic design & hand-eye coordination. Probably one of the better things to learn to exercise the brain & it's super fun, too. Plus, we quilters have all these unique terms that are practically a different language (learning a new language is supposed to be the best way to stave off Alzheimer's & dementia).

KittyD 10-17-2015 01:38 PM

A friend of mine is 89 and she has been learning to free motion quilt on a long arm at a quilt shop.

elnan 10-17-2015 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7347796)
Barring some sort of disability, I think older age is a poor excuse to not try something new.
If you don't want to - that's fine. If you want to - that is fine, too.
Expecting perfection on a first try is unrealistic, though.
PS. I am 74.

Darned if I'm telling anyone how old I am, but I've lived past the age of any of the women in my family who came before me, except for one contrary great aunt. I am very shaky on FMQ, but the whole process of making a quilt excites me. It's the thought of making a quilt by hand that I find daunting.

elnan 10-17-2015 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by unfinishedbusiness (Post 7347764)
I'm elderly and I keep reading we old folks should learn new stuff to stimulate our brain. Do you think learning free motion quilting after70 yr of hand quilting counts? have it started it's not perfect . I 've got the straight stitching done and I am going oo learn free motion on the quilt.LOL It is just for me and my dog so why waste practice thread? Sound like my brain is too far gone already ;)

Unfinishedbusiness, you have my admiration! I view elderly and old as two different groups.

franc36 10-17-2015 04:13 PM

At age 75, I decided to learn how to quilt. Five years later, I am so excited with this new hobby! I work on quilting every spare minute. While my free motion quilting isn't the greatest, it gets better each time. I strongly encourage you to take up free motion quilting. By the way, I find FMQ very relaxing.

Onebyone 10-17-2015 04:31 PM

Yeah for you! 70 is the new 50! There are 70 year olds in my guild that don't like anything new. They are real drags when it comes to enjoying quilt programs and lord forbid someone demos a new ruler when an old beat up scratched ruler will do the same thing if you turn it just right. LOL

Irishrose2 10-17-2015 06:34 PM

One by one, I hope you're not describing me!
Bree123, I am way past 70 and relatively new to quilt, but I don't consider age a hindrance except the thought of starting a quilt with tiny pieces. My only advice would be to not work at for too long a period of time. Start with an hour and work your way up. Just think of it as writing your name without moving your hand - by moving the paper, LOL. Look where you're headed and have at it.

sewingsuz 10-17-2015 07:14 PM

I just started to FMQ in the past year or so. I decided I could not afford to pay 2 cents a inch. I am not to good yet but I have started to improve. I am 74. I have been sewing for 61 years nonstop. I have been quilting for about 8 years now. I love the whole thing and make lots of Items. Keep up the good work and don't ever give up and you will stay young. My Mother just turned 100 in August.

grammasharon 10-18-2015 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 7347799)
70 is young these days...90 is closer to old.

YES, Totally agree! I am over 70 and just took up quilting since I retired. Just got back from a quilt retreat on Lake Superior with 40 other quilters and one of the sweetest quilters just turned 80. Just hoping I can go when I am 80 and have her sweet disposition!

annette1952 10-18-2015 03:55 AM

You should definitely go for it. The main reason is because you want to & another is because it is a good exercise for the brain. The more you do the better it looks too. I do a little FMQ & I'm far from good but I have lots of fun.