Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does setting your seams with an iron after sewing really make a difference? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-setting-your-seams-iron-after-sewing-really-make-difference-t168409.html)

CorgiNole 11-16-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 4683900)
setting your seams causes them to sink into the fabric and gives you more precise edges. the blocks will lay flatter- and be neater....also helps that 1/4" seam more (right on)
if you don't bother to set your seam before pressing to one side or the other the excess can be 1/8"---and that 8 times equals a whole inch!
so, if you are looking for precision- technical perfection- setting your seams is an important step

This is why I do it. And it is not a fun process for me, but I persevere. I do find that it keeps things flatter and helps maintain the accuracy of my scant 1/4 inch seams.

Cheers, K

CorgiNole 11-16-2011 09:22 AM

Sorry - computer hiccuped a double post.

Cheers, K

joyce888 11-16-2011 09:42 AM

To me it makes a world of difference. I've tried it without and I don't think the seams are as easy to press open. Also it makes a big difference when your sewing over multiple layers.

Kristin in ME 11-16-2011 10:06 AM

The things I learn on here! I had never even heard of setting a seam. Guess I'll be doing that from now on!

misseva 11-16-2011 10:40 AM

I always do now. Really no trouble when you get used to it. Just zap the seam once as sewn then open up & press.

Doreen 11-16-2011 11:02 AM

It does make a difference. Do it on some piecing and look at the results.

Camping Angel 11-16-2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere (Post 4685026)
Yes I set the seam and then press it open...of course noticing I didn't say the word 'iron'.

SET - put iron on fabric pieces as they were sewn (think about ironing a shirt - you'd smooth it out before really ironing it)

PRESS OPEN - open the seam and gently press the iron into the seam - don't iron it.

I think each seam looks pretty when pressed. :) and I think it makes a difference in my blocks.

Thanks for the explanation. As a beginner, I find this to be an excellent teaching post.

Edie 11-17-2011 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Carron (Post 4683841)
Do you set your just sewn seams with an iron?
I am wondering what is the reason for that extra step.

I do it the way Fons and Porter does it. I iron it flat and then open it and sew the seam to the dark (We all know what I am talking about, right?) and press it again! Works great! Good luck! Edie

Buttons922 11-17-2011 03:48 AM

I think this is one of those personal things, some do, some don't. I do, a professional quilter told me to make it look professional/classier and easier to look at the final product set the seam, iron and starch often. I hate to agree with her, (I would like to think I KNOW everthing) But she is right. Try it and see if it fits for your sewing talents and let us know. I am very interested in fellow quilters views on this subject.

mommessy 11-17-2011 03:50 AM

Absolutely always set seams. Just makes for neater piecing, in my opinion...