Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does your sewing room always stay cluttered? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-your-sewing-room-always-stay-cluttered-t226390.html)

lots2do 07-23-2013 01:57 PM

My space is a lot like yours, I'm afraid. I think one of the keys to better organization is efficient storage which I really don't have in my room. The other, you already know, is less stuff. Over time, I've realized I really enjoy smaller projects rather than great big huge ones which works better with my lifestyle right now (still working). BUT...it doesn't use up stash very quickly at all. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have tried to resist when all of my quilting buddies encouraged me to build up my stash. On the other hand, I love to have stuff to use and count on. Once I retire in a little while, I hope to be able to have more time to use some up. Such a problem to have! :) Anyway, good luck on this, I'll be watching the responses here.

lots2do 07-23-2013 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 6192643)
I guess my suggestion of taking old magazines to the library or quilt shop and putting free on the box was not liked.....lol

The post was deleted.

Really? I think that's a great idea!

Quiltngolfer 07-23-2013 02:03 PM

I usually have more than one project going at once, so I have to be a little organized. Also, I only have a 10 X 12 studio. I purchased the plastic quilt square carriers with handles (14 X 14). Each one will hold several quilt squares. I store my projects in those, and just get out the one I want to work on. I also have baskets under my cutting table that I keep the fabric for current projects in. It looks pretty good. I store my fabric behind closed doors in cabinets I had built in the room. I have quit buying for a while unless I need something to finish a project. No more places to stash stuff. Lol

Nammie to 7 07-23-2013 02:06 PM

My LQS usually has a basket full of free magazines, etc that people have donated so they are given away tow whoever may want them. The quilt guild has a table at their weekly meeting where people bring things they want to give away - both ideas work well.

When I start a project I like to have a reasonably clean sewing room. It is so much easier to sew when you have a surface to work on! After each project I will clean things up and put stuff away. But that is a room that is so easy to put stuff in without putting it away - just this week I've put in 3 bags of sewing notions, batting, etc and just stacked it all on the ironing board. Maybe later today I will get in there and put all that away. When starting a new project and picking fabric it can become a real mess very quickly!! It is always a work in progress.

RedGarnet222 07-23-2013 02:16 PM

Oh dear ... I go though so much fabric that I have bins of scraps and left overs that I need to begin putting together in some way. I want to organize the three very large bins into color ways to make it easier. But, organizing that is on the back burner.
Two years ago I moved from one room to another and washed and organized all of my stash. It took a month of steady working on it to get it to this point. I hated doing that. All I wanted to do was to sew. But, I am glad I did it and have it to where I can open the closet doors and find anything now. I have most of my magazines all gone through and most of them donated to the second hand store. I did save the patterns I wanted in a three ring binder in those plastic sleeves.

I know it is hard, but, I straighten, clean and dust my sewing room every Friday along with the rest of the house. I have a place to put fabrics and things that must be put away all stacked up during the week, so it makes it easier to just grab and put where it belongs. I know it would be better to put them away after each project, but, I get on a creative streak and can't do it. So the folded and stacked fabrics are my best option for some straightness to the room. I have a relatively small room compared to many of you and I have no other room to add storage to. But, this works for me and my stash.

MadQuilter 07-23-2013 02:53 PM

That's an easy one to answer: YES. I had it all clean once and felt paralyzed in the space. It was so neat - I could not do any work. Now it's a shambles and I am creative in my mess.

mandyrose 07-23-2013 02:59 PM

I clean and organize mine but doesn't stay that way long as soon as I start a project takes a minute to mess, right off I look for tools then it's move something to do something and before I know it I surrounded by a mess........

QuiltnNan 07-23-2013 02:59 PM

my work area is always cluttered. before i was a quilter, i was a machine knitter and the situation was the same. you know what they say, a messy work area is the sign of a creative mind :)

Mariposa 07-23-2013 03:06 PM

you know what they say, a messy work area is the sign of a creative mind :)[/QUOTE]

Then I can say I am creative! ;)

nygal 07-23-2013 03:12 PM

Yes, mine is cluttered but my work area is not.