Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Doing a craft fair! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doing-craft-fair-t39760.html)

mrsj82 03-16-2010 02:34 PM

So ladies, a quandry....

I am doing a craft fair this summer. There is estimated to be about 1000+ People in attendance. It's a music festival with an arts/crafts section. Two days....July 2-3.

The questions I have are these. What kinds of things should I bring? I've got a list below of the things I plan to bring. But is it too much/too little? And how mcuh inventory should I bring? IT's two days with 1000 + people...I don't want to sell out, but Id on't want to bring too much either....

Also any tips on doing a craft fair would be helpful! Thanks!

earlylace 03-16-2010 03:40 PM

make the things you love, but try to be a little different than the regular stuff that everyone always has. There a lot of folks who don't sew but would love to have something handmade. Lace

Tink's Mom 03-16-2010 04:08 PM

Cover table to the ground (looks classier than a plastic tablecover ending 2' from the ground). Store boxes under table. Make sure you bring bags, change and the most important thing...a smile. No one wants to buy things from a grumpy person.
I don't know what you make, so can't suggest what to bring. Do what you like making....Good luck.

montanaquilter 03-16-2010 04:13 PM

make sure you have a full table and you can put extra inventory under the table so you can always have the things you've made on hand!! store it all in rubbermaid containers too. good luck and have fun. take it ALL!! hope you sell everything!!

tkhooper 03-16-2010 04:17 PM

Since it is the 2 and 3 of July go heavy on your independence day inventory. Definitely take as much as will fit in your booth without looking cluttered.

tlrnhi 03-16-2010 04:22 PM

Good luck on your sales!
Maybe do a search of what others here have done for craft sales.
I've had potholders, table mats, doll quilts, baby quilts, twin size quilts. Soft books, embroidered towels, table runners and some totes.
Others have had book marks, aprons and other small kitchen items.

Yes, make sure you have a good selection.
Just my opinion...make just so many of each thing. More of one than another if you think that item will be a hot seller.
Americana colors do sell well in certain areas.
Above all....don't overprice!

starlight 03-16-2010 04:43 PM

My DH and I do several craft shows each year. You want to have a variety but not so much so that the people are overwhelmed. Unfortunately what will sell at one show may not sell at another. Don't forget to take yourself something to sit on and water in a cooler. If you plan to do future shows make sure that you keep track of what did sell and those things that people did like or improvements and changes that people might like. If there is time before the show you might want to walk around to see what other prices are so that you will know if you are inline with others. We are just starting our research for any new items that we will add this year. My DH does woodworking and I do sewing and quilting. I find that my baby quilts and grandma's paddles sell the best. Try to have everything visible and easy to get to. Change is a must. We use cloths for our tables in plain colors.

tkhooper 03-16-2010 04:49 PM

Remember that paintings & prints are so expensive that people are looking for alternative ways to decorate their walls.

Judy_M 03-16-2010 05:06 PM

Our park is having a craft in November and I thought Candle Mats will be one item I'm going to make. I bought a book Big Book of 20 Pieced Candle Mats by Ruth Swasey. A House of White Birches book.

They look pretty fast and easy to make.

Judi

Favorite Fabrics 03-16-2010 05:53 PM

BRING SUNSCREEN! Even if you have a tent to sit under. The sun will slide off to one side and you will cook if you're not careful. And bring a hat with a brim. If you share the sunscreen you will make great friends with your neighbors!

Also... I would strongly suggest that you keep your money in a waist pack, not a cash box. I learned that the hard way, at what *should* have been a very profitable Thanksgiving weekend craft show long ago.

What is it that you make?