Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Doing Paid /Commission Sewing/Quilting for Others (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doing-paid-commission-sewing-quilting-others-t312844.html)

michelem 10-20-2020 07:32 AM

I’ve been doing commission work for about 10-12 years. Started with tee shirt quilts for clients, then someone asked me to make a quilt from her daughter’s clothes so have been doing a lot of those too. I guess I’ve been lucky because almost all of my clients have been nice to work with and appreciate the amount of time it takes. I do a one-hour, free consultation to look at the tees or clothes, talk about what client wants. My prices range from $350 to $900. I’ve only had one person decide not to go forward — and it wasn’t her decision. Her husband thought it was too much!

RedGarnet222 10-20-2020 12:40 PM

I have been asked many times. But, I always refuse gracefully. I also do not submit my work into fairs or shows. I don't want that kind of pressure on me while I am making something. That is not why I sew or quilt.

Doggramma 10-20-2020 02:19 PM

I’ve only done a few on commission, but not recently. People have approached me to make quilts out of baby clothes and dance costumes, but I’m absolutely not interested in doing those. It might be different if I was younger and needed the money. Right now I only want to work on what I love.

NZquilter 10-20-2020 02:34 PM

I don't have the time or desire to do commission work. Heavens, I barely have time to sew for myself.

Jordan 10-20-2020 02:39 PM

I used to make clothes for people but don't do it anymore. I get too nervous and don't like being under pressure of using other peoples fabrics. I agree with everything you listed.

Rhonda K 10-20-2020 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8426087)
I prefer not to -

For those of you that do work on/for comnmission - how did you overcome your hurdles?

When/How did you decide you were good enough, fast enough, etc?

And have you found people to be willing to pay "adequately" for your skill, time, and materials?

With encouragement from our LQS owner, I taught my first series of classes for our embroidery machines. I have never been in the teaching environment. I have done a few presentations for our group meetings which helped me gain confidence. There were 6-8 students in each class at different levels and four different machine models. My class fee was in line with the other instructors without hesitation.

toogie 10-20-2020 05:28 PM

I have been asked a few times to make tee shirt quilts. I have never made one but felt I could. At the time one asked I was working on my anniversary quilt with a lot of embroidery on every other block. I was afraid I could not meet her deadline for Christmas so I declined. I found out from my niece that works with this lady that she paid $300 for someone to make. Then she showed me the picture of the quilt. All I can say is the person who ‘quilted’ it has more value in her work than she should. A terrible job to say the least. Another drawback for me is pricing. When people see my work they say I should start selling it but I have no idea how to charge. I think most would be surprised just at the cost of fabrics. They usually have no idea. I am like another person here that commented, I am picky and probably notice things a non-sewer Wouldn’t. When I worked at a sewing factory they said as much and wanted me to pass it on. I knew what people would be charged so I wanted to do my best. Factory wanted quantity not so much quality.

aashley333 10-21-2020 03:36 AM

I've made a couple of t-shirt quilts on commission. It was scary to cut up other people's memories! I got the orders when my cousin posted her graduation quilt online. I decided that my price was $17.50 per piece. I say piece because large or small, each item has the same amount of work, whether it is a pocket or a whole front. Most quilts use between 20 and 30 shirts. (25x17.50=437.50) I tell people right off the bat that there are cheaper places on the internet, but mine are custom designed and time consuming. I'm not anxious to work for strangers for free!

luvstoquilt 10-21-2020 04:14 AM

I have never done any commission work and I don’t intend to ....Quilting is my hobby and I love it. I retired from Corporate America in 2009. I have been playing since then. I do make donation quilts for several worthy causes but that is also joyful.

Snooze2978 10-21-2020 04:32 AM

I totally agree with you. My ability is not bad but in my opinion not good enough to sell or be paid to do it for someone else. As you mentioned I'd hate to wreck something that belong to someone else. The stress is just not worth it and yes most folks don't want to pay you enough to make it worth your while.

Its funny my mother and sister didn't realize just how much time, money and talent it takes to make a quilt until they saw mine. Then they had more respect for quilt making.