Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dominate Fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dominate-fabric-t264987.html)

Lydia_88 05-08-2015 12:24 PM

Dominate Fabric?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to know which fabric will be more on top when you press the seam out? Ideally, the seam will be perfect and everything will be even, but if that does not happen I would like to be able to decide which fabric will appear dominate or more on top when they are pressed. Thanks in advance for your help!

Lydia

ManiacQuilter2 05-08-2015 12:58 PM

I was taught to press towards the darker of the fabric. There are some here that press their seams open. It is just a matter of personal preference.

luvspaper 05-08-2015 01:49 PM

I generally press to the dark unless I am specifically trying to nest the seams when there are lots of small blocks/pieces. I find pressing well helps hide any "bobbles" in the seam personally.

joe'smom 05-08-2015 03:19 PM

If you press your seam open, both sides will be even. If you press your seam to one side, the side you press toward will be higher.

bearisgray 05-09-2015 09:20 AM

Theoretically, if the seam is pressed to the side, the seam allowance closest to the top fabric will be the only one you can see through the top.

Try it an see with scraps.

It I am sewing with a white and darker color, and want to press to the white side, I have the white piece stick out a couple of threads wider for the seam allowance so that the darker color will be completely behind the white (when looked at through the top).

Clear as mud?

Geri B 05-09-2015 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7190890)
Theoretically, if the seam is pressed to the side, the seam allowance closest to the top fabric will be the only one you can see through the top.

Try it an see with scraps.

It I am sewing with a white and darker color, and want to press to the white side, I have the white piece stick out a couple of threads wider for the seam allowance so that the darker color will be completely behind the white (when looked at through the top).

Clear as mud?

Re:moving light fab just a few threads so it covers dark fab...if I'm going to "flip" the seam allowance, I sew as usual, then just trim the dark seam allowance of the dark fab a smidge.....so it is shorter than the light fanfic.....

just_the_scraps_m'am 05-10-2015 01:33 PM

think about it -- would you want your dark fabric to show underneath the lighter fabric when you are looking at the right side? then don't press that way! Press toward the dark & no problem! {actually i prefer to press seams open, it's easier to flatten them...}

Lydia_88 05-10-2015 10:08 PM

Thank you for all the tips! I am a bad quilter because I don't like to press, but it makes a world of difference. The seems don't look as bad when pressed, but they are still a bit off. Your tips will help me make the next one better!