Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   From Don-isewman--A ??? for anyone/everyone (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/don-isewman-anyone-everyone-t212307.html)

ckcowl 01-30-2013 05:09 AM

found it....check out: LPSharp. com---they specialize in rotory cutter blades- and have a (trade in) program where you can send in your old, dull, used blades and receive new blades in return for much less than buying them in the usual markets. good quality blades that will hold up.

cmierley 01-30-2013 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by isewman (Post 5821216)
Does any one have a rotary blade sharpener. And also, do you like it. And would you recommend a person to buy on. And what brand would you recommend. I've debateing to get one. I found one on ebay ebay for $40.00. If I decide to get 1, I want a good one. Any info will help me with my decision. THANKS EVERONE for any info. Don-isewman

I bought one that you run you rotary cutter through. It does sharpen the blade, but it doesn't last. I prefer to use new blades and will buy them when on sell.

MarthaT 01-30-2013 05:43 AM

I have a Dritz Dual Rotary Blade Sharpener that I got at Joanns several years ago and it works great for me, but others don't like it. Has two sides, one for smoothing the blade and flip it over to sharpening. A drip of sewing machine oil on it makes it work even better. It wasn't very expensive either.

KathieS 01-30-2013 06:39 AM

Rotary Blade Sharpener

Originally Posted by isewman (Post 5821216)
Does any one have a rotary blade sharpener. And also, do you like it. And would you recommend a person to buy on. And what brand would you recommend. I've debateing to get one. I found one on ebay ebay for $40.00. If I decide to get 1, I want a good one. Any info will help me with my decision. THANKS EVERONE for any info. Don-isewman

All the research I have done on this subject indicates that these do not work very well and are a waste of money. Here is a method I found that may be worth a try.

Fold a piece of tin foil into a multi layered square. Run your cutting blade though it numerous times. Test cut on fabric scraps to determine sharpness. Keep cutting through the tin foil until you are satisfied with the sharpness.

Cheers !

solstice3 01-30-2013 07:35 AM

I bought one of the cheapie ones at Joann's that uses sandpaper. It does a so-so job. If you have a friend that is big into tools and woodworking, they may have a grinding wheel or something that is either more cost effective ... or they might even sharpen them for you.

Pat75 01-30-2013 08:43 AM

I use Try Sharp and have used it to my satisfaction for more than 10 years.Just remember to buy the size for the blade you use most frequently It is not adaptable to different sized blades.

Michellesews 01-30-2013 08:56 AM

Sorry to agree with everyone. I have had them all...even the electric one...none work that well. I think the one you just run it through a few times, back and forth, helps the most, IF you do it after each project. The electric one made my blades worse. Now I have a friend who says they make hers sharp. I was so irritated by the way they ruined my blades that I threw it in the garbage. $60.00 down the tube...that REALLY irritated me. I buy on Ebay, make sure they are OLFA and change them often...like many more here.

Lee in Richmond 01-30-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5821273)
I do the same as MTS -- buy in bulk on eBay. Seems as if I don't have to change blades too often, so $40 worth of blades lasts me a *long* time (and it's a lot more convenient than running a sharpener, which I think involves oil).

I use a Fiskars cutter -- do you know whether Olfa blades work okay in that?

JoanneS 01-30-2013 11:13 AM

Harbor Freight carpet rotary blade at 2 for $1.98 is pretty hard to beat. I ordered 20 packs 2 years ago, and I'm still a long way from using all of them.

labtechkty 01-30-2013 02:58 PM

I have one I picked up a joann's a few years ago..It works fine for me..I can use the blade a while longer before buying more...I can't remember the brand name but joann's has them in stock all the time...