Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Donating Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/donating-fabric-t305468.html)

Cheri_J 06-28-2019 09:31 AM

Thank you. I will contact the guilds near my suburb. :)

NikkiLu 06-28-2019 09:42 AM

My daughter does some volunteer work at a women's prison in KY and they Love fabric so their inmates can learn to sew and make quilts, pillowcases, etc. Might see if your area has a women's prison/jail.

peaceandjoy 06-28-2019 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by hoprigmom (Post 8270687)
Bonnie Hunter visited a place in St. Paul that was teaching quilting to disadvantaged teens just before she came to the Minnesota State Quilting Convention in Rochester. I will try to look up her post. I know they would take some, but I don't know about their storage.

I remember seeing that post and thinking how fantastic it is. They are teaching life-long skills - not only sewing, but determination, seeing a project through, planning... It's amazing!

Also - schools with drama departments will usually take fabric, too.

sewingitalltogether 06-29-2019 01:32 AM

If you have been stashing fabric since the 70’s, then 100-150 yards won’t really look like much. I only say this because I have more fabric than I will ever use in a lifetime and continue to buy more. Good luck destashing.

illinois 06-29-2019 02:29 AM

The Lutheran churches in our area make quilts for donation overseas. They are not particular if the fabrics are "pretty" as they were told the ugly quilts are more desirable for actual use. The "pretty" ones are more apt to be stolen from the homeless or sold for drug money.

luvstoquilt 06-29-2019 03:43 AM

So many places to donate here. I should think your area is the same. Churches, women’s groups, etc. I am in a group that makes quilts for homeless people, women’s shelters, abused children, etc. call your local health department or even the police station or fire department.

AZ Jane 06-29-2019 06:02 AM

I definitely would not take the time to wash and iron, as it's new home will probably do that again. I don't bring anything into my home without washing it first.

SueZQ from MN 06-29-2019 02:24 PM

The Veteran's Hospitals have quilters that make wheel chair lap robes and quilts to give to the patients. I am sure that they would love to have your donation. When my dad was a patient in Fargo, ND, he received a beautiful quilt that he loved and said that it was like getting a hug from a stranger that was grateful for his military service. Contact the head of the hospital's volunteer services and they will connect you with the right people. Bless you for your generosity.

illinois 06-30-2019 03:34 AM

One more suggestion--depending on what the fabric is, perhaps your local theater group might make use of some of it? A friend of mine works in a costuming shop and they gladly will accept most things usable for their presentations: thread (as long as it isn't weak), elastic, velcro, seam binding, etc. All that stuff we used to use in garment construction and wonder what to do with it now!

terriamn 06-30-2019 04:23 AM

Bundles of love is another great charity here in the twin cities. I think they are in Burnsville