Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't Get Scared (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-get-scared-t271805.html)

Boston1954 11-02-2015 05:01 PM

Don't Get Scared

1 Attachment(s)
This has not happened to any of my quilts, but after making some Black Cherry Kool-Aid a few minutes ago, I poured some for myself and trotted back to my computer. On the way I passed by my "Pipe Dream" quilt with the VERY light grey background.

I have a question for you. What would you do IF you managed to spill dark Kool-Aid or something like that, on a very light quilt? Is there something that you can soak it in to make it "new" again?

Onebyone 11-02-2015 05:30 PM

I would put it in the washer immediately and wash on cold water, color catcher and Tide. If the stain didn't come out I'd use a color safe bleach and wash again. If it still didn't come out I'd say Oh well, and forget it.

Tartan 11-02-2015 05:40 PM

First I would try not to hyperventilate myself into cardiac arrest. If I had scraps of the white I would test on it first. I would then do what I do for fruit stains. I would pour hot water from my kettle through the spot to see if it would come out being careful not to go into the colours.
Great top by the way.

Material Witness 11-02-2015 06:32 PM

Kool-Aid is dye. I would pour it all over the light grey fabric to make it consistent.

MadQuilter 11-02-2015 07:24 PM

Oxy Clean? Not sure. So far any red wine accidents didn't affect actual quilts. I do know that I would utter some very bad words.

ClairVoyantQuilter 11-02-2015 07:26 PM

This is precisely why I never allowed koolaid with red dyes in our house when my kids were growing up. We learned to really like lemonade, LOL

Unfortunately, there's no fixing red koolaid or yellow mustard stains (ask me how I know). So, best not to tempt fate

Prism99 11-02-2015 07:54 PM

Love your "Pipe Dream" quilt! Is there a pattern for it or did you wing it?

Bree123 11-02-2015 10:33 PM

I'd get out my Stomp 'n' Go pads. Love those things. They get out red wine, spaghetti sauce, popsicles ... just about anything bright & colorful that doesn't belong on the ridiculous white carpet that seems to be in all the apartments I've rented lately (seriously! what a terrible idea! so glad my next apartment has concrete floors).

Those things have dissolved every stain I've ever encountered. They're made for carpet, but I've used them on plenty of other items, including bedding (not quilts so far, but desperate times would have me reaching for them). Just press on them & leave for a bit, then after it's soaked in for a while, work on spot cleaning with cool, clear water and finally toss the quilt in the wash.

But all that said, just don't go near a quilt with any beverage other than water. It's not worth it.

celwood 11-03-2015 04:17 AM

First I love your quilt. This happened to me with Orange Crush soda. I immediately washed it using color safe bleach and cold water. The stain did not come out so as onebyone said, I said Oh well and chalked it up to experience.

QuiltingHaven 11-03-2015 04:26 AM

Change the kool-aid to Vodka!!!!