Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't know what to do with my favorite fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-know-what-do-my-favorite-fabrics-t237234.html)

nancylee 12-22-2013 03:08 PM

Don't know what to do with my favorite fabrics

Hi all,
I have some fabrics I just adore!! Some are a yard or two, some are just fat quarters. What they have in common is that I haven't been able to use them!! I certainly don't want to use them in gifts (I know, I am terribly selfish in this area, not others, though!!!) So would you give me some suggestions??

They don't all go at all, some are modern, some are batiks, so I really can't use them all in a quilt, or it would be a horrid quilt. So I need smaller ideas. I have thought of table runners, but I don't really use them.

Help!!!

Thanks, in advance,
Nancy

bearisgray 12-22-2013 03:10 PM

I think it is just fine to have some fabrics just because one likes them!

omacookie 12-22-2013 03:10 PM

Make crib quilts to be donated. Christmas is about giving. Be merry. Hugs

Billi 12-22-2013 03:16 PM

Who says you can't have more than one quilt? Put together the fabrics you like together and make yourself a quilt then another and another. Keep them folded in your living room or bed room where you can see and use them. I have a pile of quilts some I made others were gifts that even though they don't all "go together" it gives me joy to see them folded up where I can see them and they get used.

nancylee 12-22-2013 03:25 PM

Thanks!! I guess I am a hoarder!!

MacThayer 12-22-2013 03:27 PM

Get into making small things. A nice purse for yourself would be a real treat, and you can take your favorite fabric wherever you go! How about wall hangings, place mats, mug rugs, or a cover for your computer laptop? Or how about looking at kitchen stuff -- so nice to have some of your favorite fabrics around to see and use daily -- appliance covers, pot holders, casserole covers, hot pads, trimming some kitchen towels? If you have plain curtains or blinds, how about a valance for the top made of favorite fabrics. Just think small and useful!

You see, I have favorite fabrics that I don't want to give away either. I use them to make "quilted treats" for myself. And I think that's great! With all the work we put into quilting, and all the gifts, family quilts, charity quilts, etc. that I'm always making for someone else, it's really nice to have these little treats for ourselves! So don't feel selfish about it; you've earned it in spades!

nancylee 12-22-2013 03:38 PM

Thank you!! This is what I was looking for, as I want to see them all of the time!!!
Nancy

NJ Quilter 12-22-2013 04:15 PM

Maybe some fabric boxes to cover some tissue boxes? Or use them for candy dishes? Tons of uses for fabric boxes and they make up really quickly. Also a great way to practice FMQ if that is your goal.

QuiltnNan 12-22-2013 04:35 PM

how about a bed runner for the bottom of the bed?

roselady 12-22-2013 04:48 PM

If you want to make something bigger with them, take them shopping and find other fabrics to add to them. Don't use them in the same project unless you really like them with each other. I have bought a "favorite fabric" and collected fabric to go with it over a years time or more. Now I have MANY little collections just waiting for the right pattern to show them off!!