Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dont make my mistake... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-make-my-mistake-t199397.html)

nygal 09-03-2012 07:29 AM

I never heard of alpaca batting either.

erstan947 09-03-2012 09:24 AM

Beautiful quilt. Love the setting of the butterflies:)

dunster 09-03-2012 09:30 AM

That is a lovely quilt! At our last quilt show there was a vendor who had alpaca wool items for sale. They were so soft! I don't think she sold batting though.

One question - usually the binding is attached before washing. Was there a reason to wash your quilt before binding?

carolaug 09-03-2012 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359916[/ATTACH]I just bought it in...it does not smell as much. My husband can not smell it but he just finished canning 76 jars of tomatoe sauce. It does not look like it strunk at all. To answer Dunster. I washed it in the washing machine prior to binding incase it strunk. That way I could square it off if needed. I will bind it tomorrow. I am very please with how it came out. Leah Day has suggested that on her lasted video post. This picture is not showing all the nice quilting...not sure why...oh well...off to go apple picking. Love the fall!!

carolaug 09-03-2012 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359956[/ATTACH]here is what the quilting looks like...it does not show up in the large full quilt pictures...like a ghost.

majormom 09-03-2012 03:25 PM

My goodness, it looks like you even embroidered around the butterflies. I think it is an interesting concept of Leah Days', and maybe I'll try it on a future quilt, howbeit, it will be a small baby quilt as I can't handle anything bigger anymore. I love your quilt and what I could see of your quilting. However, your 'episode' with the alpaca batting has made me realize I will stick to wool and cotton batting! Thanks for posting this, it was very interesting.

BuzzinBumble 09-04-2012 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by mightbme (Post 5487120)
LOL, this reminds me of a story I read once about a woman who made yarn out of poodle fur. She said every dog on the street wants to check her out when she wears the sweater she made of that yarn.

ROTFLMBO!

And Jan - that is just too much - animal skins cured in urine - :shock: Aaaack! LOL!

Carol - that is one very pretty quilt! The blanket stitching around your butterlfies is wonderful. I bet it smells fine once it is all the way dry. Your idea for keeping the cats off the guest bed is terrific. Maybe you can find the silver lining and you've stumbled onto a business idea here! You could make quilted "Scat Cat" runners for beds and furniture!
:thumbup:

BuzzinBumble 09-04-2012 06:15 AM

Jeepers, 76 jars of tomato sauce! Congratulate your hubby - that's amazing!

My time 09-04-2012 06:50 AM

I'm sure like other animal fibers, once it dries it will be fine. Your quilt is very pretty. I have a question. Is there a reason why you wash it before you sew your binding on? Never heard of this before.

My time 09-04-2012 06:55 AM

You've answered my question above. It wasn't there when I posted the above note. My computer is misbehaving this morning!