Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't pitch it! I want it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-pitch-i-want-t80277.html)

huntannette 12-04-2010 05:40 PM

GREAT!!! Makes me think....I bought an old Singer treadle sewing machine from the original owner for 250$ some years back.....think i`ll give it a whirl after the holidays.....she kept it in mint condition. I`ve never actually used it yet....time i did!!

falcon 12-04-2010 05:50 PM

I was lucky enough to find a Singer treadle machine for a very good price at a garage sale a few months ago.
I brought it home and gave it a thorough clean and oil and away it went.It sews like a dream. I have it in our sitting room and often sew on it in the evenings much to my husband delight.
He sanded and revarnished it for me as the old varnish had gone tacky with age, apart from that it is perfect. Even has the original belt.
The gent I got it from said he brought it new for his wife when they were married. She has recently passed away.
I am very pleased with my find as I had been looking for one for some time and was staggered at the prices some people were asking.

lue 12-04-2010 10:22 PM

My dad (now deceased) had my grandmothers treadle machine and promised to give it to me in his "estate." Now it's in his mother's abandoned house being consumed by the rats and he's in the grave. You are so blessed to have one given to you. I grew up using one part-time in my Home Economics class and loved it. Would be great exercise!

lue 12-04-2010 10:27 PM

People can be such twits! I know how hard it is to want something and someone else takes it simply because of greed. I hope you'll be able to release your brother who must have a HUGE hole in his spirit to be able to mistreat you that way. Blessings to you.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 12-04-2010 10:42 PM

Sounds like a he wants it to go to someone who will take care of it, and your the fortunate one !!
Not hard to sew with, on the one I used biggest hint had to do with when you start to pedal, give the wheel a nudge towards you from the top, to get it going :)

sandilee 12-05-2010 12:16 AM

Yes, I will make him a batch of cookies (we all take turns doing that, anyway) and I am going to make him a quilt!

sandilee 12-05-2010 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
Are you going to make him something using the machine as a "thank you"? Wouldn't that be cool?

Yes, I will make him a batch of cookies (we all take turns doing that, anyway) and I am going to make him a quilt!

cherrio 12-05-2010 04:36 AM

if you contact Singer they should have the manual. Might cost a few bucks but it is nice to have the manual

Rann 12-05-2010 12:07 PM

You've all made me want to dig the one out of my storeroom that I bought for decoration when I lived in a 3000 SQ. FT. house (now in 1000). It worked when I bought it. I remember many, many years ago working on a tredle.

Stitchnripper 12-05-2010 12:10 PM

Great news! It's fun to treadle