Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't you just love it when . . . (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-just-love-when-t261493.html)

Anne P 02-19-2015 01:41 PM

Don't you just love it when . . .

you can save money by using an item you already have for a new use? :D The other day I saw a 3.5" square for squaring up blocks/units while perusing the web and, since I'm currently working with that size units, I thought, "That would really be handy." However, although I don't remember the cost, I know it seemed wasteful when I have several rulers I can use.
Today while assembling units and needing to fix one, I remembered that item and wished I had it. Well, then I remembered that I had gotten a set of clear fussy-cut squares for Christmas and there is a 3.5" one in the set! It's meant for a 3" finished cut, but, hey, it's 3.5" to begin with! Yahoo! I used it to trim that unit perfectly!
Now I realize I have five trim-up squares (2.5" - 5") to use - for free! Furthermore - I don't have to double-store any of item). Now if if could just figure out how to be cleaning the house and quilting at the same time!

GemState 02-19-2015 01:45 PM

If you ever figure out that last part let me know!

Diannia 02-19-2015 01:46 PM

Good for you! As for doing both at the same time you can either hire a cleaning service or set a time for 15 minutes and clean for that time then set it again and sew for that time...and go back and forth until you've done enough cleaning. I do that sometimes because if I don't then I keep finding more and more to clean and don't get to sew! Oh and I also have a cleaning service come in twice a month...lol. I work full-time and my hubby takes very good care of me...I'm not spoiled just well taken care of!

Onebyone 02-19-2015 02:46 PM

Looking at an item and seeing past it's supposed use is fun and money saving.

ManiacQuilter2 02-20-2015 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by GemState (Post 7097160)
If you ever figure out that last part let me know!

Yes, please tell me too !!!! :)

Texas_Sue 02-21-2015 05:15 AM

Let us all know when you figure that out. I also needs some volunteers to come and help me with my sewing room!!!

grann of 6 02-21-2015 05:36 AM

I like finding uses for things that I already have. And as far as being able to clean and quilt at the same time..... I gifted myself for Christmas last year a computerized longarm. His name is Bob, and he resides in my living room. I set him up to quilt, and then I can clean the kitchen or run the vacuum while he is merrily quilting away. A cleaning lady would be cheaper, but not near as much fun. LOL

sewNso 02-21-2015 06:31 AM

and just think. if our quilting rooms were organized, we could find them when we wanted them. that's what i am doing 15 minutes at a time. straightening all my sewing do dads.

carolynjo 02-21-2015 08:34 AM

SewNsew, when I can stand and bend like I want, I'll use Fly Lady's 15-minute helps and maybe get more done. With the bitter cold we have had, my extra fridge died, my mixing faucet in the kitchen died (now no hot water at the kitchen sink) and we have loads of snow in our driveway. We are just hunkered down for now. We were lucky here that our food delivery trucks for Kroger's arrived before the last storm. We haven't had temps like since 1985! C'mon, Spring, hurry up and get here.

MargeD 02-21-2015 02:04 PM

I love it when I have been looking for a quilting item, ruler, fabric, pattern, etc. that has been residing in a "safe place", and I find it.