Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-you-wish-machine-manufacturers-would-t174167.html)

Krystyna 01-02-2012 11:33 AM

Don't You Wish Machine Manufacturers Would ...

Don't you wish they would design machines with bobbin housing and side housing covers that would just click off so you could clean out all the linty stuff and wayward strings without trying to get to a zillion hard to reach screws? Especially those that require the use of that little stubby screw driver? I've been quilting with a Sulky thread that is soooo linty it looks like the foot and shaft on my machine grew a beard!

nhweaver 01-02-2012 11:46 AM

Put a light right above the needle, have the biggest harp area possible, make a non skid foot control pedal and develop a huge bobbin.

texpat45 01-02-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 4834842)
Put a light right above the needle, have the biggest harp area possible, make a non skid foot control pedal and develop a huge bobbin.

Ditto!! Especially the huge bobbin! I have my grandmother's treadle machine... it used a spool of thread in the bobbin case...wonderful!! Alas, today's spools don't fit...and I'm not about to hand wind thread onto one of those wooden spools!!!

Krystyna 01-02-2012 12:32 PM

Ah yes! The never-ending bobbin!

Kim Bohannon 01-02-2012 12:37 PM

having a spool of thread in place of the bobbin sounds like a wonderful idea, as does snap-off areas to help you get to your machine to clean it! I wish they would make machines easy to get into for those yearly trips to the servicer...I like to service my own machines, and man is it hard to get into some of them!

Rose L 01-02-2012 12:55 PM

I wish machine mfgs. would allow us to custom order a machine that just has the things on it that we want. Nothing like paying for a bunch of bells and whistles that I'm never going to use!

mommaB 01-02-2012 12:59 PM

I'd like one that somehow has a really slanted bed so I don't have to hunch over, or prop it up!!

ckcowl 01-02-2012 01:09 PM

i purchased the little vacuum attachment kit that is for electronics---works wonderfully to suck out all the stuff in the hard to reach places-
i think Clotilde's offers it- it's about $14 and well worth the money! you just attach the tool to your vacuum hose and clean that machine right up!

Lori S 01-02-2012 01:13 PM

I am with you on the access for cleaning out the lint. My old singer , cabinet mounted, is so easy to clean. Just tip it up and everything is right there for cleaning and oiling. My newer Viking .. you just can not get past the bobbin case to de-lint. Very frustrating.. I know that lint is in there.. but can't get at it.

Tartan 01-02-2012 01:15 PM

My new Bernina 440 does have a snap on foot plate cover. You can clean under the feed dogs and snap it back in place. It doesn't have a never ending bobbin but you can fill a bobbin without unthreading the machine if you have another spool of thread. Very neat along with the needle threading function.