Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dose anyone here collect old wooden spools of thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dose-anyone-here-collect-old-wooden-spools-thread-t202642.html)

rush88888 10-08-2012 02:48 PM

i collect old spools of thread. i was lucky enough to get them from 3 grandmas. along with them, the jar contained other notions of the time...snaps, needle books, loose pins and needles...and buttons!

lynnie 10-08-2012 03:02 PM

I do, i do. I would love that!!!!!! Love those colors, so awesome. Ive got about 4-5 spools. Trying to get more.
the minute people hear im collecting them they want to charge me $5 a spool. Crazy. Wanna swap something???????

lynnie 10-08-2012 03:03 PM

Ive been haunting yard sales for them

Ioftheneedle 10-08-2012 05:35 PM

Yes I do. I have the little Santa carved from a spool and can't for the life of me remember where it came from. I keep the spools in a jar for display. Some of the thread is so old it's not good anymore.
I have a Coats Clark spool cabinet that I keep machine embroidery thread in but recently I spotted a spool cabinet for Belding thread that was a vertical cabinet with lots of glass. Really neat antique I that I had never seen before. very expensive too. I do remember using Belding thread which was very good.

lynnie 10-08-2012 07:40 PM

What kind or ornaments are you making, im nosy, and i love ornaments.

Gramie bj 10-08-2012 08:46 PM

I collect them, have a couple of old gallon jars full. Most of the thread is still good. I have used a couple of the large spools with not so good thread as door nobs for my fabric cabnet. Just coated the thread with Elmers glue, let dry. drilled hole in door and ran a 3 1/2 inch bolt through the spool and door. Works great and another deco for my room. LOL

Painiacs 10-08-2012 08:53 PM

What a great buy! Beautiful threads colors cool!!

owlvamp 10-08-2012 08:54 PM

Beautiful thread. I have only a few wooden spools from my mother. Love it!

Iamquilter 10-09-2012 05:10 AM

Wooden spools

Originally Posted by Missus Fear (Post 5570748)
How neat! I don't collect them per se, but I have some spools of thread from when I was a little girl and my grandmother used to use and taught me with. Have a Talon color 330 hot pink color that I actually used recently and it's still in great shape, a Spun Dee 449.5, a Star mercerized from American Thread Co marked at 15 cents for the spool and a handful of JP Coats between 30 and 35 cents. They are probably worth not a lot, but they are worth millions to me!

I read someplace, don't remember where, but that wooden spools are worth a lot of money, so I put all my wooden spools in a box with a note not to get rid of them .

Quercus Rubra 10-09-2012 09:11 AM

Ohhhh swoon.... I have been looking for some... may I ask where you was able to purchase it? Is there a link? Thanks,Tricia