Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-batting-t228723.html)

GrandmaKathy 08-25-2013 09:58 AM

Double batting?

I would like to use double batting for my quilt to is ready to be quilted on my midarm. If I use a pieces of batting, shouldthey be the same or different types?

Prism99 08-25-2013 10:07 AM

Depends on your reason for wanting to double batt. I have seen people post about using two layers of Warm and Natural (cotton). This makes the quilt very warm but also very heavy. Have also seen posts about using a layer of W and N topped with a layer of polyester, with the purpose being more loft from the polyester.

feline fanatic 08-25-2013 12:17 PM

I quilt with two batts quite often. My preferred method is a layer of low loft on the bottom like W&N, 80/20, bamboo, I have even used an old wool army blanket. Then I usually prefer a higher loft on top like Hobbs Poly down. I do this to get definition in the quilting. Each layer I use the same batting but I have used pieces. The low loft batting I zig zag stitch together but the high loft I have simply butted one up to the other.

pw6 08-25-2013 12:51 PM

That is going to be a very heavy quilt to wash.. better have it dry cleaned.. here in Texas we have no need for warmer quilts as it does not stay cold any longer than a few days at a time...

ckcowl 08-25-2013 02:13 PM

i know many quilters who use double batts in their quilts- some use a cotton like warm & natural, or hobbs 80/20 then add a wool - which is lightweight and lofty( which really showcases the quilting stitches beautifully) I've used hobbs 80/20 and bamboo together, I've also used pieces of a highloft polyester batting just under certain areas on top of other batting- you can do it how ever you want- be adventurous! :)

dunster 08-25-2013 03:06 PM

I've heard of using a wool batt over poly to give more definition to the quilting.

carolaug 02-22-2014 05:02 AM

In the FMQ'ing classes they say to use W&N and add a layer of wool batting. I just ordered wool batting to give it a try.

Silver Needle 02-22-2014 05:25 AM

Quilter's Dream Wool batting over a thin batting like Quilter's Dream Cotton Select makes a beautiful quilt. I mainly work with Quilter's Dream battings as I think they quality is excellent. Not saying anything against Warm & Natural I just like working with QD on my longarm. If you are using pieces don't you want to use some method of putting them together into a whole bat for your quilt?

ManiacQuilter2 02-22-2014 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6254587)
Depends on your reason for wanting to double batt. I have seen people post about using two layers of Warm and Natural (cotton). This makes the quilt very warm but also very heavy. Have also seen posts about using a layer of W and N topped with a layer of polyester, with the purpose being more loft from the polyester.

I quilt using a Bernina and I would never subject my baby to quilt thru two layers of batting. The weight of the quilt would kill my back. If you want warmth, go into advance search and read the post about wool batting.

maryb119 02-22-2014 05:41 AM

I have a customer who has me use 2 battings on each quilt. I place the Warm and Natural batting on the bottom and the poly batt on top. It makes a heavy, warm quilt and she loves them.