Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double fold vs. single fold binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-fold-vs-single-fold-binding-t291378.html)

roselady 09-22-2017 11:44 AM

Double fold vs. single fold binding

I'm finishing up a quilt that I started a couple of years ago. No surprise that I don't have enough of the fabric that I want for the binding. The fabric I thought I would use just doesn't look as good. Of course this fabric is no longer available, I've done dozens of online searches. I have enough of my preferred fabric for a single fold binding, but not for the double fold that I usually do. A double fold binding is supposed to be more durable. I'm thinking that using a lightweight fusible interfacing on the single fold binding might make it as durable as the double fold. What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts!

cashs_mom 09-22-2017 11:57 AM

I think that might work.

quilts4charity 09-22-2017 12:03 PM

Good idea, go for it!

MadQuilter 09-22-2017 12:07 PM

Have you considered finding another fabric to go with it and doing a flanged binding? That way you can use your feature fabric And get the double binding.

peaceandjoy 09-22-2017 01:30 PM

I just realized today that I have a similar predicament. Took two quilts in that have languished for years, anything left was long ago cut into scraps, so I wouldn't even be able to do single fold with the same fabric. I think a coordinating or contrasting fabric will work well.

I also do like your idea for a light fusible. I think that's a creative and workable solution, if you want to use the same fabric.

SHELTIE'SMAMA 09-22-2017 01:38 PM

My mind is questioning if the light fusible might reduce the flexibility while strengthening at the same time. However not an issue if all four sides have no curves. I always use bias binding but it is not needed if there are no curves.

Onebyone 09-22-2017 04:27 PM

Make two bindings. My guild made a quilt for the outgoing President. My job was to make the label and bind. I didn't like the binding I put one at all so made another one and sewed it over the first one. Best binding I ever done, it was full and smooth. LOL So put a binding on, any color, then put the second single fold one on. Double time but so worth it for the results you want.

quiltingbuddy 09-22-2017 06:32 PM

I like the idea but wonder how bulky it might be at the corners. When these things happen to me i just find a new fabric and I usually like it just as well in the end. I do like the idea mentioned of using the fabric you like for a flange inside the binding if you can make that work. It might look amazing! Let us know what you decide to do and how it came out ok?

SusieQOH 09-22-2017 06:34 PM

I think your idea is a good one!

cashs_mom 09-22-2017 06:37 PM

I think if you use a tricot fusible interfacing it will be fine. The tricot interfacing is very light and stay quite flexible. I don't think I'd use pellon. The tricot will probably not be any less flexible than a double layer of fabric.