Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double wedding ring advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-wedding-ring-advice-t309866.html)

tohkatz68 02-22-2020 10:07 AM

Double wedding ring advice

Planning to start a wedding ring quilt with Marti Michell's templates that I've had forever. Has anyone made a wedding ring quilt using a lightweight fusible interfacing for the arcs and 'melons'? I have a roll of lightweight leave in fusible that add very little bulk to the quilt.

gmcsewer 02-22-2020 01:41 PM

I made a queen size using this method

Originally Posted by tohkatz68 (Post 8363267)
Planning to start a wedding ring quilt with Marti Michell's templates that I've had forever. Has anyone made a wedding ring quilt using a lightweight fusible interfacing for the arcs and 'melons'? I have a roll of lightweight leave in fusible that add very little bulk to the quilt.

I thought it turned out really good. I appliqué the arcs on to plain white muslin and trimmed out the back to avoid some thickness. I think it controls the shape of the small pieced shapes and it makes the circles easy,

bakermom 02-22-2020 03:41 PM

i made one using Quiltsmart (I think) interfacing. I was happy with the way it turned out

meyert 02-23-2020 07:03 AM

I have made 2 DWR using Quilting from the Heartland templates. I did not use any type of interfacing, personally I feel that would add bulk... depending on the sizeof quilt you were making

I have never seen the templates you are going to use, but the templates that I had there really was not much problem at all with the curves. The pieces were small and curves were gentle. I am sure I will make a few more DWR going forward because the ones that I did went so well

good luck and have fun!

Doggramma 02-23-2020 07:57 AM

When I made mine, I used John Flynn’s templates which, I think, are similar. It was pretty easy doing the curves. Personally I don’t like the look of the interfacing along the edges. I made a pumpkin-seed type shape using lightweight interfacing, right sides together with the fabric, sewing along the edges, and turning right sides out. When I went to do the stitching along the edges, it wasn’t as clean and crisp like I wanted. But that’s just my opinion.

tohkatz68 02-23-2020 08:24 AM

Thank you for all the great suggestions:). Finishing up a project now then time to start on the DWR.

juliasb 02-23-2020 11:08 AM

I have made 6 DWR quilts over the years ... seem like they are the most popular for newlyweds. The 6th one was for DH and I. I too use Quilting from the Heartland templates. They are great and I did not find I had any extra bulk doing the pieces as were laid out in the direction. I quilted all of these quilts by hand. I am sure you quilt will look wonderful. It is one of my favorite traditional patterns. Great scrappy quilt or good as themed colors too.

Jordan 02-23-2020 12:46 PM

I have made one DWR and used Shar Jorgensen's templates. It went together quite well. I would feel that the interfacing would make it too bulky like everyone else said.

quiltingcandy 02-23-2020 02:36 PM

I would recommend you try it with similar weight fabric and see how it works for you.

toverly 02-24-2020 02:40 AM

I have made one using her templates. It was great. I have plans to make another one, one of these days. I love her pattern because the rings are perfect circles.