Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Double wedding ring success (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/double-wedding-ring-success-t264716.html)

Tippytoes 05-01-2015 11:42 AM

Double wedding ring success

Oh I had to share how happy I am with the double wedding ring quilt I am making.

To set the scene a little, let me tell you why I am making this, and who it is for...

I work with a wonderful girl called Lottie who I trained with and has been my friend and supporter. I love her to bits and when she told me she her boyfriend had finally proposed, I knew what my next project would be. So I have sworn everyone to secrecy and I began researching the double wedding rings design, found a template by EZ Simplicty and thought right, lets get down to it.

Now I feel I should say at this point I have only made one quilt previously! I know! I can hear you all taking a sharp intake of breath at this point! Anyhoo I managed to find out Lottie and her partner's favourite colours, which actually made for an interesting colour scheme - hot pink, blues, greys and a splash of sunshine yellow were Lottie's exact words.

So I toddled off to my lovely local fabric shop and gathered some choices, I roped in the the fantastic staff, and a friendly quilter; after about an hour I had my choices and brought home enough to get me started, and that's where things started to go wrong!

Several botched attempts led to real frustration and doubt about this whole project, but I keep thinking of how much Lottie will love this gift and how much I wanted to make it for her. I scoured the Internet for advice and reworked it over and over. Yesterday I introduced myself hoping to find information from this fantastic site and low and behold things have improved beyond anything I could have imagined.

I looked at the pictures section, I looked at the wonderful quilts. I gazed at the wonderful quilting spaces and sewing rooms that reflects the loving care you all have for your art and I realised something fundamental to my problem. I was not focused, my room was a mess and I was rushing myself. Today I had a couple of hours spare and I set to work getting rid of the clutter and detritus; making my Crafty Cave a place fit for calm and soothing quilting. As a result if this I have been recharged and been able to get this patten to work for the first time!

I apologise for the long post, but I can't tell you how much connecting with this site has helped me. I knew I could ask for help, and I probably still will, but just realising the importance of being a 'quilter' and what I need has done the trick!

Much love to everyone
Mags
x

SueSew 05-01-2015 11:56 AM

Mags, we all love this site! Welcome! I learned most of what I know about quilting from this Board, and for my first year it was pretty much all I went by. I've been quilting four years and I still come here for advice and to learn from other posts. Be patient with yourself, take the time to be accurate, enjoy the process. You will do fine!

Tippytoes 05-01-2015 12:10 PM

Thank you SueSew. I am completely self taught and sometimes it gets really tricky to stay motivated and think that there are some tips I should know! I think just getting back to the site has given me confidence.
Cant wait to show what I've made! I think the other half is sometimes humouring me and some really good feed back is so helpful!
Mags
x

nanacc 05-01-2015 02:16 PM

Sounds like you are on the way to a very pretty quilt! You go, girl!! Can't wait to see!

GEMRM 05-01-2015 02:23 PM

And we'll want to see pictures of the finished project you know!

Dolphyngyrl 05-01-2015 06:31 PM

I am going to tackle that in a few years, not quite ready yet

Barb in Louisiana 05-02-2015 06:26 AM

I love your story. We all have those break through moments when something just clicks. Good luck with your quilting. I will love seeing your pictures of this project.

ManiacQuilter2 05-02-2015 06:35 AM

Wish you had posted a photo. Sometimes we are our worst critics. DWR is a difficult quilt to make even with all the new inventions. it is after all curved piecing.

Geri B 05-02-2015 11:22 AM

Good luck with your challenge. Here is something that may help you. YouTube tutorial by Ebony Love. Her method of putting that pattern together is the best I have ever seen/ read. She does use the GO die cutter to cut her pieces,but that really doesn't matter,it's the putting together that is tricky....again, good luck, take your time, and it will be lovely.....

Tippytoes 05-02-2015 01:20 PM

Hi everyone.

Again thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I will attempt to post some pics tomorrow. My actual design is a simplified DWR as I am using a solid arch, rather than pieces. The curve is quite the challenge but I will definately check out the YouTube suggestion. I am hoping to have a complete 'ring' finished tomorrow. Can't wait to spend the day working slowly and feeling calm!
Much love
Mags
X