Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Downloaded patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/downloaded-patterns-t160354.html)

grann of 6 10-15-2011 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by catray
I download quilt patterns and I will probably never get to them all. But I would like to take to local office supply to have ring bound. What I don't know is how to sort and put into like patterns and or like whatever. Any ideas please!

I just punch mine and put them in 3-ring binders. I get the 1" size and put table runners in one, totes and bags in another, quilts in another, etc. Then I label them on the side so it shows on my bookshelf. I also have a binder that addresses various block techniques. You can buy those binders in bulk quite cheap. Then I can also take out the one I want to use instead of having the whole binder getting in the way.

gollytwo 10-15-2011 04:33 AM

I too use the sheet protectors.
I have many 3-ring binders filled with patterns that appealed to me - cut from magazines and downloaded.
Scrap Quilts is the largest, Easy & Charity, Jelly Rolls, Tips and Techniques, Batiks are a few of them.

Rainbow 10-15-2011 04:37 AM

When I put my multi-paged quilt patterns in the notebook I staple the RIGHT side of the papers, thus making them seem as one. That way, I take the papers out of the notebook to sue, and just flip backwards, so to speak.

Thanks for the reply but how do I mark them so that each pattern can be reached. As you know some patterns are one page, two pages and up to eight pages. That seems to be my main concern. Should I put all one page patterns together and so on. Star, contempory, outrageous and so on patterns and such I can understand but some are one page only. Any thoughts?

Lisa Marie 10-15-2011 04:48 AM

Love your idea about printing them and having them bound.

Boxer mom 10-15-2011 04:50 AM

I download quilt patterns and I will probably never get to them all. But I would like to take to local office supply to have ring bound. What I don't know is how to sort and put into like patterns and or like whatever. Any ideas please!

I have mine sorted by kind (baby, runner, etc) and I have put them in the sheet protector sleeves so I can write on it and them be able to wipe it off or if I need to tape thing to it they will come off with out ripping.

I only print the ones that would not save or printed to make the pattern. I just bought a protable desktop 2TB hard drive for $80 (at Staples) and have now transfered all my sewing stuff to it. Now I can take my laptop computer and the hard drive to my sewing room and look up or look at any pattern I have and will not have to print any more unless I really need to. I am going to look into getting the new hand held slim scanner and scan the patterns in my magazines and put them in the HD also.

sewmorethings 10-15-2011 05:42 AM

I also have more patterns than i will live long enough to complete. I use the plastic sheet protectors from walmart and a 3 ring binder (or two) and subject dividers to store them in. Works really well for me........

Rose Marie 10-15-2011 05:51 AM

I have 4 large binders full all organized.
Do I use them? I havnt looked into them in over a year.
One binder is for information only not for making blocks or quilts.

runninL8 10-15-2011 05:52 AM

I'm another one of those OTD (older than dirt)types when it comes to computers. Have mastered some simple things - can download quilt patterns I like - then save in a folder. The folder gets large and becomes a black hole - I know they are there, but wonder how to find the ones I want. Has anyone taken a file (copied to a disk) to a print shop to have it printed out? What would that cost? Would it be cheaper than printing them out at home? The cost of printer ink is so high that I tend to print out only the ones I think I will use right away. Would love to have them all printed out.

Thanks to all for the ideas about categorizing - will certainly use those ideas!

collady 10-15-2011 05:54 AM

I just purchased 3-ring binders and the plastic sleeves to put the patterns inside. Then I am able to rearrange them as I need and remove them when I have used the pattern. It is less expensive in the long-run than having them bound.

sunrise450 10-15-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I do this too. I put them in catagories (Baby Quilts, Stars, Log Cabin etc.) I put them in a 3 ring binder and put the papers in sheet protectors. :)

I do this also. I love organization!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: