Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Downsizing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/downsizing-t158229.html)

QuiltQtrs 10-05-2011 12:05 PM

What measures are you taking to "downsize" .... not just in
your stash, weight ... etc. But overall due to economy.

Zhillslady 10-05-2011 12:08 PM

Started a 1 year no buy with friend beginning 10/1. We will barter or swap if we need something new. Excludes battig of course.

dltaylor 10-05-2011 12:10 PM

Funny you should ask, I realized today that I can save 180.00 per year by simply giving up my reserved parking space and going into non reserved!! I am still guarenteed a spaced, but just not an assigned space...Small price to pay to save 180.00!!

QuiltnLady1 10-05-2011 12:16 PM

Not eat out as much, shop at Walmart for staples, cut down on my fabric purchases.

vicki75 10-05-2011 12:16 PM

We're cutting our satellite package down to a lower level. $100 bucks a month for TV is crazy! Also, cutting our cell phone minutes. Seems we all text more than we talk nowadays...especially our teenage daughter! She can blow up a phone with text messages. Good thing we have unlimited. :)

fabriclover333 10-05-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
Funny you should ask, I realized today that I can save 180.00 per year by simply giving up my reserved parking space and going into non reserved!! I am still guarenteed a spaced, but just not an assigned space...Small price to pay to save 180.00!!

fabric money,lol

Maia B 10-05-2011 12:48 PM

I refi'd my house. Paying $200 MORE per month, but went to a 15 year loan. Saving thousands and I'll own it sooner. Like a forced savings. Also $200 less spending money. I don't have cable or most other entertainment expenses. Quilting and sewing are it for me. Praise God, my family is doing well, when others are struggling.

Rose L 10-05-2011 12:55 PM

There are lots of places to cut back economy wise. We did so two years ago. We no longer have TV/Satellite, no cell phones, we don't go out to eat but once per month. I buy all my fabrics/books/patterns/second hand. I shop garage sales and auctions for household goods and any furniture I can make over and re-use. I cook from scratch. I gave up driving but kept my cars so I don't pay for gas/tags anymore. I walk instead, easy in a small town. Last year I didn't fill the propane tank and heated my house with electric heaters instead, it saved hundreds of dollars and we were warm enough. Since I'm at home all the time I fill the space with sewing and quilt making for my kids and grand kids which helps them out too. The only extra we hung on to was internet service, you have to stay connected to the rest of the world somehow.

athomenow 10-05-2011 01:05 PM

When I stopped working last Dec I knew my life would change. I haven't shopped for any new clothes in months. I've been hitting the estate sales, GW and garage sales for those things I need. Canned my vegs this year. Not driving as much. Eating in more than out.

mhunt1717 10-05-2011 01:46 PM

Cut cable service in half--just basic channels, reduced cell phone package, don't eat out, drive the least possible, trade fabric, ended the luxury of having nails done, cook from scratch--what everybody else is doing!