Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dr. Beckmann's? Alternative to Shout Colour Catchers? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dr-beckmanns-alternative-shout-colour-catchers-t185615.html)

chislett 04-12-2012 02:42 AM

I use Dr B whenever I finish a quilt and it works perfect in first wash. I was at a clearance store yesterday that sells discounted items from Costco. They had Shout Color Catchers for 1.50 per box. I wondered why and I guess it is because they are discontinued. I should have bought some.

SunlitenSmiles 04-12-2012 03:16 AM

actually they are dissapearing (as in not on the shelves) here also.......maybe they just do not have a fast enough 'turn over' for the markets.

as to the dissapearing in the washing process.....hummmm, maybe that is what happened to all the baby sox !!!

marymay 04-12-2012 03:50 AM

I have been looking for the Shout Color catcher for a month. Found some at NAX Jax(navy base) bought 3 boxes. Put it in my washer with a blue quilt. Took all the blue onto sheet. But my quilt faded. It was pre washed fabric. NO happy. Sure am happy that it was one of mine and not one that I gave to someone.

QuiltE 04-12-2012 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by marymay (Post 5134756)
I have been looking for the Shout Color catcher for a month. Found some at NAX Jax(navy base) bought 3 boxes. Put it in my washer with a blue quilt. Took all the blue onto sheet. But my quilt faded. It was pre washed fabric. NO happy. Sure am happy that it was one of mine and not one that I gave to someone.

Were you wanting the loose dye to keep re-dyeing your quilt? and any of the other fabrics in the quilt? Looks like SCC did the job it was intended to do.

Originally Posted by chislett (Post 5134681)
I use Dr B whenever I finish a quilt and it works perfect in first wash. I was at a clearance store yesterday that sells discounted items from Costco. They had Shout Color Catchers for 1.50 per box. I wondered why and I guess it is because they are discontinued. I should have bought some.

Back to the store today?

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5134713)
actually they are dissapearing (as in not on the shelves) here also.......maybe they just do not have a fast enough 'turn over' for the markets.

as to the dissapearing in the washing process.....hummmm, maybe that is what happened to all the baby sox !!!

So I think you are telling me that I better buy a whole bunch of Dr. B before he disappears too?

thimblebug6000 04-12-2012 08:38 AM

I can't seem to keep a navy or indigo cotton fabric from eventually loosing it's colour. As much as going grey even, and not in the sunlight either. I don't think it had anything to do with the colour catcher IMHO

coopah 04-12-2012 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 5134713)

So, today I went to the grocery and found lots of boxes of the Shout Color Catchers. Like maybe 20 boxes. Also, I signed up to get a free sample via the internet. I'm wondering why free samples would be sent out on something that's being discontinued? So maybe it's just in your area or one store? There's an 800 number on the box of Color Catchers. Maybe they could tell you what is happening.

kristakz 04-15-2012 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer (Post 5133024)
both Woolite Dye Magnet and Shout Colors Catchers can be ordered from (who else?) Amazon.com.

Unfortunately, when I put shout color catchers in my cart, amazon.com tells me that "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address. ". So, I think we Canadians are out of luck there.

QuiltE 04-15-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5142344)
Unfortunately, when I put shout color catchers in my cart, amazon.com tells me that "We are not able to ship this item to your default shipping address. ". So, I think we Canadians are out of luck there.

Back to Metro for Dr. Beckmann's? :)

Gail B 04-15-2012 10:17 AM

I emailed Proctor & Gamble & asked why color catchers aren't available in Canada any more. Canadian content laws are more strict than the US - has nothing to do with the French/English packaging.

QuiltE 04-15-2012 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gail B (Post 5142929)
I emailed Proctor & Gamble & asked why color catchers aren't available in Canada any more. Canadian content laws are more strict than the US - has nothing to do with the French/English packaging.

Interesting that you say P+G ... as the package that I have for Colour Catchers shows it as a product from S.C. Johnson out of Brantford, Ontario. I did phone the 1-800# on the package, and didn't get any response, other than they are no longer available!

Did you bring home a caseload from the USA with you this year? :)