Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drankards path (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drankards-path-t1687.html)

NewsletterBot 08-02-2007 08:41 PM

Does anyone have any tips or hints about the "drankards path"? I am trying to enlarge the block to a 9"x9" square. All the templates I have found are for small blocks.

Thanks!
Irene

nor'easter 08-03-2007 05:12 AM

Hello Irene. Here's an easy way to change the size of a Drunkard's Path block.

Measure the length from the corner of the block within the quarter circle to the edge of the circle (the radius). Divide that number by the total length of the block. Now multiply that result by the length of the block you want to make. This will give you the length of the circle part for the new block.

For example, if you want to make a 9 inch block and you have a 6 inch block with a circle part of 4 inches, your math would be 4 ÷ 6 x 9 = 6. The circle size for the 9 inch block would be 6 inches. The proportion is usually about two thirds circle, one third arch.

Hope this helps.

Nina 08-03-2007 09:59 AM

Slightly off subject - but, I have my great-grandmother's Drunkard's Path quilt - all hand pieced and hand quilted. It is gorgeous.

Good luck with yours - I'm sure it will be beautiful!

lin 08-03-2007 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by nor'easter
Hello Irene. Here's an easy way to change the size of a Drunkard's Path block.

Measure the length from the corner of the block within the quarter circle to the edge of the circle (the radius). Divide that number by the total length of the block. Now multiply that result by the length of the block you want to make. This will give you the length of the circle part for the new block.

For example, if you want to make a 9 inch block and you have a 6 inch block with a circle part of 4 inches, your math would be 4 ÷ 6 x 9 = 6. The circle size for the 9 inch block would be 6 inches. The proportion is usually about two thirds circle, one third arch.

Hope this helps.

Wow! I am soooo not a math person, LOL so thanks for the formula nor'easter. I'm printing that out for future reference. :)

Leslee 08-03-2007 11:24 AM

Yikes! I learned just enough math to balance a checkbook and figure mileage on the car. It's nice to know the secret to the perfect Drunkard's Path block. I spent years folding papers in quarters, then drawing arcs with strings tied on pencils!!!

nor'easter 08-03-2007 11:50 AM

teehee! I love the math of quilting so I'm glad to be of help on that front whenever I can. I actually do a lot of my designs using Excel, but I'm the first to admit that's just plan weird!

And Leslee, you'll still need the string on the pencil. The math just tells you how long the string should be!

patricej 08-04-2007 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one 9-inch drunk, at your service
:mrgreen:

first one printed on legal paper. this is exactly the same, but prints on letter size paper

set page scaling to "none". click on "advanced" and select "print as image" to ensure the same allowances print, too