Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drapery Material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drapery-material-t253409.html)

joan3111 09-11-2014 06:39 AM

Drapery Material

Recently I was given an insane amount of drapery sample material - 100% polyester. Can I wash this up and use it in donated quilts? This is lovely, soft material and the colors are gorgeous. Samples are generous enough that an 8" quilt block could be cut and certainly they could be cut and pieced in blocks.

Some of it is tagged dry clean only - I assume I will just have to toss this - the samples on this are not really big enough to finish an item.

I hate throwing anything away that can be used for SOMETHING!!

Suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

nanna-up-north 09-11-2014 06:46 AM

I'm with you.... hate to throw away usable fabric. But, I think I'd wash everything before cutting it up just to see how machine washing will affect it. I would be very unhappy if I spent a ton of time putting together a quilt and then discovered that it shrank badly or faded all over the other blocks (although polyester usually doesn't bleed color). Just sayin'..... be cautious. Drapery material my not respond the same as 100% cotton.

Sewnoma 09-11-2014 06:46 AM

100% polyester is going to be REALLY warm, but other than that as long as it's machine washable I don't see why you can't use it.

The ones that are dry clean only...maybe patchwork tote bags? They'll eventually get too grubby but at least you can get SOME use out of it!

AngeliaNR 09-11-2014 06:51 AM

I think I'd try washing the dry clean only fabric just to see what happens. If it messes up, toss it, but you might be surprised at the result.

Jeanne S 09-11-2014 06:53 AM

I have used fabrics like this in quilts and they came out great. Some of these fabrics are a little stiffer and heavier than regular quilting cotton but I have mixed them up and used both in several quilts. I think having some different textures makes them interesting. I do wash all the home/drapery fabrics first however just to be sure they will launder ok as well as to remove the extra sizing that seems to be in those fabrics. I think they will come out great for you!

willferg 09-11-2014 07:20 AM

I've seen Home Dec fabric that was 100% cotton but said dry clean only. When I asked the clerk, she said all the Home Dec said that, but she couldn't see any reason (nor could I) why it couldn't be washed.

Like Angelia said, try washing some. If it totally disintegrates, you'll have your answer :thumbup:

ckcowl 09-11-2014 07:21 AM

I would wash it all -- even the ones that say dry clean only, and see how they come out, you may find they are just fine to use also. I have a lot of items/fabrics that say to dry clean that I wash regularly without problem. And of course you can make quilts with the fabrics if that is what you want to use them for. Lots of people use all kinds of home Dec fabrics in quilting

QuiltnNan 09-11-2014 08:37 AM

i got a bunch of samples, too. i washed and ironed them all. i'm going to use most of them.

auntpiggylpn 09-11-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6883801)
I think I'd try washing the dry clean only fabric just to see what happens. If it messes up, toss it, but you might be surprised at the result.

Definately try washing it! Most that say dry clean only come thru the wash just fine! I've washed several home dec fabrics that were "dry clean only" and came out of the washer and dryer with no damage. I have done several projects using mens ties. Most say dry clean only. I throw them in the washer and dryer just like I wash my regular laundry. Even the silk ones come out fine. If it can't be laundered, I don't want to waste my time using it.

joan3111 09-11-2014 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6883993)
Definately try washing it! Most that say dry clean only come thru the wash just fine! I've washed several home dec fabrics that were "dry clean only" and came out of the washer and dryer with no damage. I have done several projects using mens ties. Most say dry clean only. I throw them in the washer and dryer just like I wash my regular laundry. Even the silk ones come out fine. If it can't be laundered, I don't want to waste my time using it.

I have my washer chugging away doing up samples from both types of fabric - thanks so much for all your wonderful answers - will let you know how I make out!!
Joan