Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dream Green Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dream-green-batting-t281633.html)

daisydawg 08-25-2016 08:45 AM

Dream Green Batting

Has anyone used this type of batting, made from recycling bottles? What do you like or dislike about it?

ManiacQuilter2 08-25-2016 08:53 AM

No, I am very happy with quilting with Hobbs 80/20. I have used it since it first came out.

quiltingcandy 08-25-2016 08:57 AM

I thought about trying it but my concern would be how it may change over time. All of my quilts go in the dryer and I trust that will continue after it is given away.

Peckish 08-25-2016 09:57 AM

My concern is about fire, however rare that may be. Plastic and polyester will melt into skin when it gets hot enough. I don't know if anyone's ever done some kind of testing to see what happens. Using cotton for top and bottom of the quilt might contain the problem. But I'm very happy with Quilter's Dream, which is available in cotton and wool.

daisydawg 08-25-2016 11:28 AM

Thanks for your replies. I visited some other sites but they only talked about how easy it was to work with and how it washes. No one responded to my questions about drying concerns.

suern3 08-25-2016 02:10 PM

Just checked Quilters Dream website and it says that it can be washed and dried with little to no shrinkage. So no special instructions for that aspect. You might want to look at the website if you want in depth information. They have lots of info about Green, in addition to all of their other products.

gramajo 08-25-2016 02:15 PM

I first bought Dream Green because it was made of recycled material. It has a nice drape to it and machine quilts beautifully. Because of the slight green tint to it, it will show through white or very lights colors. It doesn't shrink, so the quilt doesn't get that crinkly look. The quilt also ends up lighter in weight than with traditional cotton batting, which may sometimes be an asset. Overall I like Dream Green.

ckcowl 08-25-2016 02:22 PM

I started using dream green batting , gosh 12+ years ago. I was working in a shop & the owner wanted a variety of samples made with it. It was nice to work with, is great in kids ( drag around) quilts. My 15 year old granddaughter still has/ uses one of the first ones. It's her car/ travel quilt, has been forts, picnics, beach, play quilt, laundered many, many times. Has held up well. I used the batting in a quilt with a white backing to see if it showed through green- it did not. For utility quilts it gets my vote. I haven't seen it around in a while ( the shop I worked in closed 5 or 6 years ago. )

ckcowl 08-25-2016 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by daisydawg (Post 7636320)
Thanks for your replies. I visited some other sites but they only talked about how easy it was to work with and how it washes. No one responded to my questions about drying concerns.

Didnt see your concerns about drying. The items I've made with dream green are tossed into the washer, then into the dryer- regular cycles. It dries faster than heavy cottons. Keeps its shape, drape, doesn't shrink. I even used it for a couple quilt as you go stitch & flip projects where i ironed pieces as they were added. It didn't melt from the pressing.

kwiltkrazy 08-25-2016 07:51 PM

Don't like the idea of it. I like the all natural battings. Once read an article a while back that said the artificial battings let off small amounts of vapors that aren't good for you.