Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dreaming 6 1/2 squares... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dreaming-6-1-2-squares-t135084.html)

Ghetohound 07-04-2011 04:43 AM

So, i'm working on my 2nd quilt. A t-shirt quilt for my daughter who graduated this year and will be going off to MSU in the fall. I have been using extreme caution cutting the t-shirts because there just isn't that many and they are irreplaceable to her.

What does all this worry do you ask?

Causes me to have dream where i'm sitting in the middle of the floor cutting up material into little itty bitty pieces about 4 feet deep........lmao!

Telling self...that part is done already! :-)

marymm 07-04-2011 04:45 AM

Teen-agers are sometimes hard to please, but a t-shirt quilt will be a treasure.

LoriEl 07-04-2011 04:50 AM

That's a nightmare!

LisaGibbs 07-04-2011 04:57 AM

Use really good, thick interfacing after you cut the t-shirts to help them retain their shape when you sew, and use walking foot. I made one for my nephew a couple months ago and nearly died when the thinner interfacing and regular foot caused a slight stretching and twisted mess. Got it fixed, he loves it, but I nearly cried when I first laid it all out. Best of luck!!

blueangel 07-04-2011 05:02 AM

It will be a treasure.

Ghetohound 07-04-2011 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
Use really good, thick interfacing after you cut the t-shirts to help them retain their shape when you sew, and use walking foot. I made one for my nephew a couple months ago and nearly died when the thinner interfacing and regular foot caused a slight stretching and twisted mess. Got it fixed, he loves it, but I nearly cried when I first laid it all out. Best of luck!!

Oh I did not know about the stretching! I will use a few test pieces prior to sewing! Thanks for the tip!

bri1977 07-04-2011 05:31 AM

I made a queen size tshirt quilt top and used Pellon 911FF featherweight fusible interfacing. It is a must! I would also suggest pressing seams to the side rather than open because they will be stronger. I have just basted mine together and it's ready to quilt. Gonna make one for my friend's dad next. Best of luck :)

star619 07-04-2011 05:41 AM

When we are under stress (we =I) we have the strangest reactions! I've been trying to finish a Japanese Lantern quilt, putting every free minute into it. Last night the ceiling fan started a weird noise, and I returned to sleep dreaming that a LARGE rat was eating my sewing machine! The "rat" was the size of my 2 cats who are offended at being neglected while I sew up a storm.
At last check, My husband (of 40 yrs.) does not have nor understand these "guilt" dreams. Nor does he understand them.
Congratulations on waking up & NOT CUTTING UP! : )

Ghetohound 07-04-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by star619
When we are under stress (we =I) we have the strangest reactions! I've been trying to finish a Japanese Lantern quilt, putting every free minute into it. Last night the ceiling fan started a weird noise, and I returned to sleep dreaming that a LARGE rat was eating my sewing machine! The "rat" was the size of my 2 cats who are offended at being neglected while I sew up a storm.
At last check, My husband (of 40 yrs.) does not have nor understand these "guilt" dreams. Nor does he understand them.
Congratulations on waking up & NOT CUTTING UP! : )

LOLLLLLL!

frugalfabrics 07-04-2011 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by bri1977
I made a queen size tshirt quilt top and used Pellon 911FF featherweight fusible interfacing. It is a must! I would also suggest pressing seams to the side rather than open because they will be stronger. I have just basted mine together and it's ready to quilt. Gonna make one for my friend's dad next. Best of luck :)

The 911FF Featherweight Fusible Interface is also the only one I've ever used when making my t-shirt quilts. I've had no problem with them maintaining their shape when I used this interfacing. I also press my seams to one side when doing a t-shirt quilt.