Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dritz basting spray (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dritz-basting-spray-t296669.html)

[email protected] 05-03-2018 06:35 AM

Dritz basting spray

I have started using this item and really like the way it works because it means no more pinning and then have my fabric not moving around when I quilt - But - I find I have a very stiff feeling quilt when done and even after washing the quilt it is still stiff not soft and cuddly - I have changed my batting and it still ends up the same - stiff and hard - any suggestions - please help

QuiltnNan 05-03-2018 07:02 AM

Welcome to the QB. I use Tailor basting spray from JoAnns and don't get a stiff quilt. Are you using the spray very lightly? It really doesn't take much.

Garden Gnome 05-03-2018 07:40 AM

I don't find the 505 spray to make the sandwich stiff, either. But it doesn't take much to make it adhere.

roguequilter 05-03-2018 08:14 AM

i use dritz unscented only. i usually quilt in winter ..in north here you don't open windows to let the smell out :D. i spray lightly. it holds well & softens up nicely when finished & after washing. it sounds, to me at least, like maybe you are spraying too heavily.

Prism99 05-03-2018 03:41 PM

I use 505 and it washes out completely, so no stiffness left in the quilt. I have used several basting sprays, including Dritz, and much prefer either 505 or Therm-o-Web. I have seen a few negative posts about Sullivan's, Dritz, and off-brands but do not remember specifics. In one case, it was clear the spray was very old.

Aside from the fact that you may have applied the basting spray too heavily, it may be that there was not enough agitation in your washing machine to get all of the basting spray out. What kind of machine did you use, and what water temp? I know some people have found that they need to use warm water (not cold) and extend agitation time (depending on type of washing machine) in order to get all of the Elmer's glue out of their quilts (Elmer's white washable glue is an alternative basting media to basting sprays). Although Elmer's is water soluble, it doesn't instantaneously dissolve in the presence of water; it still requires some agitation and soap to get it all out. The same may be true of Dritz basting spray.

nativetexan 05-03-2018 04:28 PM

505 or Sulky are great.

ube quilting 05-03-2018 04:41 PM

I like the June Taylor spray. It has 10 oz and the 505 has 6 oz for the same price.

June Taylor spray has almost no smell and a very light spray hold well.

I think heavy spraying is the cause of the stiff quilt too.

RV Quilter 05-04-2018 02:35 AM

I prefer 505. Lightly sprayed holds well. Quilt soft with no stiffness.

Watson 05-04-2018 03:56 AM

Perhaps if you wash it again and let it soak a bit?

I also use 505 and have never had it be stiff. I've also used June Taylor with good results.

Watson

mengler 05-04-2018 04:32 AM

I’m pretty sure Dritz is the same as June tailor in the light blue can. It’s st Joanns snd Walmart. Always half the price at wm. One can has lasted what seems like forever but I do mostly baby quilts. I wave the can over the area. That’s all you need. I also glue baste using the Sharon Schambers method - more or less for large quilts.