Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Driving me crazy! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/driving-me-crazy-t251552.html)

carol45 08-09-2014 05:39 AM

Driving me crazy!

3 Attachment(s)
I had a problem with points not meeting on a quilt top, and someone on the board suggested couching yarn with a zigzag stitch over it to hide the problem. Great idea! It worked too! But all of a sudden my machine starts not zigzagging correctly. I get very loose threads, and even broken ones, which I really can't figure out because the thread continues to stay whole as it stitches. What's with that? How can it be?
I cleaned out all lint, I rethreaded, I tried changes in tension. I tested on a separate test sandwich and it works perfectly, until I sew it on the quilt sandwich, and then it messes up.
I've included 3 pictures. One, with blue yarn, where it's working correctly, and 2 with brown yarn where it messes up. The yarns, thread, etc. are all the same.
Any suggestions? Help!

Tartan 08-09-2014 05:51 AM

​Have you broken a needle lately? When I broke a needle it knocked off the timing in my machine. It would straight stitch fine but would skip on zig zag. Hope it's not the timing!

Onebyone 08-09-2014 06:52 AM

Are you using a couching/cording foot?

Tartan 08-09-2014 07:09 AM

Could the yarn be thick enough that when it zigs over the yarn the thread doesn't go far enough under for the bobbin hook to catch it. Maybe loosen the top tension so the thread has a little more slack to get over the yarn?

ManiacQuilter2 08-09-2014 07:23 AM

Interesting technique. The two suggestion are what I would have said. I would be very careful with yarn since it is such a fuzzy item.

carol45 08-09-2014 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6837901)
Are you using a couching/cording foot?

I am using a couching foot. When I try it on a test sample, it works fine with the yarn.

Pennyhal 08-09-2014 10:23 AM

If it does ok on the blue, but only has problems with the brown, I doubt it would be a machine problem. I notice in your photos that the problem seems to occur at the intersections of four fabrics. Also, the bobbin thread isn't catching. I'd try changing the needle. A sharper needle might be able to go through all those layers easier and catch the bobbin thread.

carol45 08-09-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal (Post 6838155)
If it does ok on the blue, but only has problems with the brown, I doubt it would be a machine problem. I notice in your photos that the problem seems to occur at the intersections of four fabrics. Also, the bobbin thread isn't catching. I'd try changing the needle. A sharper needle might be able to go through all those layers easier and catch the bobbin thread.

I changed the needle, and it seemed to help slightly. I played with the tension, and putting it up very high seemed to make it work (although it's pulling the bobbin thread, which is a different color, up to the top more, but I think I can live with that if I can just not have those thread breakages and loops).

citruscountyquilter 08-09-2014 04:52 PM

Are you sewing on different color fabric when you are having the problem? Are you doing your test swatch on the same fabric as your quilt? I had a similar problem and turned out to be the fabric. I was using 4 different batiks that were purchased at the same time from the same shop. I had no problems with three of them but the one blue I got skipped stitches. It was driving me crazy too. I cleaned the machine, changed needle, you name it I did it. I finally adjusted the tension until I got it stitching right and that did the trick. Different fabrics and even different color fabrics react differently.

carol45 08-09-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 6838441)
Are you sewing on different color fabric when you are having the problem? Are you doing your test swatch on the same fabric as your quilt? I had a similar problem and turned out to be the fabric. I was using 4 different batiks that were purchased at the same time from the same shop. I had no problems with three of them but the one blue I got skipped stitches. It was driving me crazy too. I cleaned the machine, changed needle, you name it I did it. I finally adjusted the tension until I got it stitching right and that did the trick. Different fabrics and even different color fabrics react differently.

The problem is I have hundreds of different fabrics on this scrappy. I think it must be the number of layers that I'm going through--I can't really reproduce that on the test samples, and that's the main difference. I also think that it is the tension that will govern ultimately. I just have to figure out what to do about all the messed up ones--I guess I'll have to pull them out.
Thanks!