Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dropping feed dogs on 201 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dropping-feed-dogs-201-a-t161577.html)

annesthreads 10-19-2011 07:41 AM

OK, I've run into an immediate problem with my "new"201: how to drop the feed dogs. The manual says something about swinging the machine back on its hinges: does that mean that the screws I need to get at are underneath the machine? I can't see how to get at them: the machine's set in its wooden base and seems to be screwed into it on the right hand side - those screws don't look as if they're going to be easy to shift, and anyway, the machine's so heavy that I doubt I have the strength to pull it free of the base. Or am I misunderstanding?

Charlee 10-19-2011 07:52 AM

To drop the feed dogs on a 201 you have to get to the underside of the machine. You should be able to tip the machine on it's hinges to to that.

You'll see a thumb screw near the feed dogs, use that to loosen and lower the dogs, then tighten it again.

thepolyparrot 10-19-2011 08:03 AM

Your machine is in a wooden box/base rather than a cabinet, right?

If so, then there is probably only one little "nut" that swings over the edge of the front right side of the bed. Swing that out of the way and the machine will tip backwards when you hold down the front of the wooden base/box.

If there isn't anyone around to help you, you can swing the nut out of the way and when you lift the machine, the base will fall away on the front edge. Lay the machine on its back on the edge of the table and you can oil and clean the underside and loosen the feed dog.

You should not have to touch the rear hinges or the screws in them at all in order to get access to the underside of the machine.

annesthreads 10-19-2011 08:21 AM

Thankyou both. I've sorted that now. However - next problem: have tried using my Janome darning foot, which worked OK on my Featherweight, but on the 201 it's sitting too tightly on my quilt sandwich, which won't move freely. Of course a darning foot isn't among those I got with the 201...
I've just googled it, and people seem to be using modern ones successfully. Are you using an original one or a modern one?

annesthreads 10-19-2011 08:21 AM

Sorry - double post there for some reason.

Charlee 10-19-2011 09:02 AM

I used a modern one and it worked fine...

annesthreads 10-19-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I used a modern one and it worked fine...

What make is yours?

deplaylady 10-19-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Thankyou both. I've sorted that now. However - next problem: have tried using my Janome darning foot, which worked OK on my Featherweight, but on the 201 it's sitting too tightly on my quilt sandwich, which won't move freely. Of course a darning foot isn't among those I got with the 201...
I've just googled it, and people seem to be using modern ones successfully. Are you using an original one or a modern one?

You can adjust the pressure on your presser foot by turning the thumb screw counter-clockwise so it screws upwards and lightens the pressure. You can adjust it depending on the type and thickness of your fabric. your quilt sandwich is probably a little too thick.