Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Drunkard's Path Math Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/drunkards-path-math-question-t200311.html)

mea12 09-12-2012 02:01 PM

Drunkard's Path Math Question

I have decided I want to do a drunkard's path in KING SIZE. it will be my first king-sized quilt so that alone is a challenge. I have a template for the 6" drunkard's path but i'd have to make soooo many that I'd like to enlarge it so that i can make larger blocks. Would i be able to just take my existing template and enlarge it on a copy machine and then cut that from card-board or mylar for new template? I wonder if this would throw off the convex/concave curve?? Also what size would you think i should go with so its not too big but still will make the cool patterns?

kristakz 09-12-2012 02:21 PM

I think you could do this - but you would need to redraw/recalculate the seam allowances. If the template includes them but they aren't already marked, draw them in at 1/4". Then enlarge. Then redraw the seam allowances to be 1/4" again and cut your templates that size.

For a King size - what overall size are you thinking? My batting is 120x120, so let's assume your King is 100x100. You probably want 10 to 12 blocks across and down, for lots of pattern repetition - so 10" maybe. No bigger than that. 8 or 9" might be better.

Holice 09-12-2012 02:43 PM

I would not attempt to enlarge a pattern such as the Drunard's Path on a copy machine These machines are not always correct in their enlargement. Also you need to think about the seam allowance as indicated above.
I would start from beginning and draw on graft paper and with a compas add the curve and then you can either cut and make templates or cut out each piece (I make two copies) and add the seam allowance and then glue to plastic for your template.

patchsamkim 09-12-2012 02:53 PM

Are you going to piece or applique the circles? If piecing, as Holice said, you would need to draft the pattern, and add the seam allowance.
The drunkard's path I made, I did with an applique method-applique a circle onto a square (I did by machine with invisible machine applique) and then cut the block into fourths...these could be made in any size. I usually find a dish in my cupboard to use as the circle applique template.
Have fun however you decide to make it!

Peckish 09-12-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim (Post 5509897)
The drunkard's path I made, I did with an applique method-applique a circle onto a square

Here's a tutorial for this method:

http://www.seamstobeyouandme.com/wor...path-tutorial/

mea12 09-12-2012 03:25 PM

Thank you everyone! I think the safest route sounds to be to make my own template with a compass. We have a very deep mattress so this is going to need to be pretty big to cover it. In fact, that's one reason I'm even attempting this because its so hard to find comforters that come down far enough on the sides. Using a queen SPREAD now for this purpose and its about right. I think I'll plan to use a 9" block per Krista's advice. I would PREFER bigger so I don't have to make as many but i hate to lose the design in the process. So I will cut my pieces and then ADD 1/4" all around on each side (and curve) of each piece, correct?

ghostrider 09-12-2012 03:58 PM

The radius of the circle is typically 2/3 the length of one side of the square...so your 9" block would mean a 6" quarter circle. It's up to you, of course, but that's a starting point.

kristakz 09-12-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by mea12 (Post 5509971)
So I will cut my pieces and then ADD 1/4" all around on each side (and curve) of each piece, correct?

Yes, that is right. Cut the templates from your draft, then add 1/4" all around (all sides) on both pieces.

kitsykeel 09-12-2012 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5509955)

Peggi,

I just looked at your tute for the drunkard's path. What fun fabrics, must add it to my list of todo's. You made it seem as though it would not be too difficult.

mea12 09-13-2012 04:10 AM

Peckish and Kitsy, thank you for that tutorial! It would be much easier and love the method! I have a curve-master foot and have mastered the traditional way of making them. I will see how futzy it is when there are hundreds to make and definitely will revert to the circle method if I have trouble. I'm wanting to do this tone-on-tone white/ivory/cream! If i had that little bit of contrast piping around each piece, it might help the designs to pop a bit more...I'm told this really go fast and that's another reason I chose this pattern for a king. Any other tips or advice WELCOME. thanks to all.