Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dry Spell or quilter's block? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dry-spell-quilters-block-t114896.html)

Astramorgaine 04-09-2011 08:18 PM

I haven't quilted anything since February. I go in my room, sit in front of the machine and... Nothing. I would like to finish some projects that I started and begin new ones. I think my muse went on vacation without me! Has this ever happened to you? How did you get past it? Thanks in advance for any input :)

Country1 04-09-2011 08:19 PM

Yes, could be the weather. As the days get longer and not so dreary hopefully this will pass.

jemma 04-09-2011 08:42 PM

take some magazines/book +cofee and sit in a comfy chair in your room------------start somthing small

Murphy 04-09-2011 09:01 PM

Yes, this happens to all of us at one time or another. What I do is find something or some fabric that is completely different from what I have been working on and make a small project like a fabric gift bag. Works every time to get the juices going; sometimes I just need a bit more quiet in my life and this works. It will come, that creativity; just don't be concerned. Perhaps a bit of fresh air and time outdoors is in order.

Jingle 04-09-2011 09:36 PM

I retired in June last year and am working on my 21st quilt since then. No slump here.

d.rickman 04-09-2011 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Astramorgaine
I haven't quilted anything since February. I go in my room, sit in front of the machine and... Nothing. I would like to finish some projects that I started and begin new ones. I think my muse went on vacation without me! Has this ever happened to you? How did you get past it? Thanks in advance for any input :)

Perhaps the projects you have not finished have gotten you down, start something new, and then perhaps you can get back at those haunting projects, that are waiting for you, they will be there when you are ready again.

Or could it be the weather, need to change your environment for a day - spend time with some other quilters - check out some quilt shops close to you.

I think you need to go shopping for some material and find something that really inspires you and will get you motivated again, or take a small class like I did with the ruching class, and it was only for a few hours, came home and made three to give away. Perhaps making something for someone else, the gift of giving always inspires me. I tend to do that a lot, my husband says I don't have any of my own projects in our home, as I give them all away.

I hope you can get past this!! Make something and share with us, the messages you receive may get you going again - I will be waiting...cheers, Donna

connie_1936 04-09-2011 10:21 PM

when this happens to me, i'm usually working with a fabric or pattern that i really don't like. try finding a new fabric that you absolutely fall in love with. that should get you going again.

IrelandDragonQuilting 04-09-2011 10:30 PM

I usually just shut the door to my sewing room and go do something else I enjoy doing for awhile. With me if I try to push it, then it only gets worse. Yet when I move into another direction for awhile, it comes back full force and I head back into my sewing room again :) You'll make it!

janedee 04-09-2011 11:16 PM

Had this happen earlier in the year too for about 6 weeks - to start with put myself on a major guilt trip but that didn't work so just gave in to it lo and behold two weeks later thought 'I want to sew tonight' and haven't stopped :-D hope you find your incentive again soon

OdessaQuilts 04-09-2011 11:34 PM

I've had the same problem since August of 2010. Hadn't sewn a stitch since early that month. Yikes! I was in two different round/row robin projects AND a boomerang swap through this board, and just could not bring myself to do it.

I knew what the problem was: things in my personal life were just too overwhelming for me to create. And although I didn't stress too much about it (I couldn't ... it just made the problem worse), I still was concerned, especially since so many people were counting on me to come through for them. Eventually, it did come back and now I am back at it (finally!).

But here are a few things that might help: walk in to your sewing space and work ... not on sewing, but sometimes it helps to re-organize your space. That way, you come across some things you may have forgotten you had, and sometimes touching a certain piece of fabric or a left-behind and somewhat forgotton UFO will do it. But cleaning up the space you use to create can motivate and even jump-start your creativity.

Sometimes I just spend time online doing a little "window shopping" for patterns (usually free), or fabrics (inspiration -- and free unless I decide to buy something!), or projects (some are low-cost). It doesn't have to be expensive, just something that might jump-start the creativity.

But the best thing is to not sweat it. Your muse will return, and when it does, you'll create like there is no tomorrow! Best of luck to you.