Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dryer sheets for string quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dryer-sheets-string-quilts-t278679.html)

love to sew 05-15-2016 04:42 PM

dryer sheets for string quilts?

I have used dryer sheets for string piecing and crazy patch blocks before and then I heard not to. So now I use old telephone books and tear off before trimming to size. BUT please tell me why I should not use used dryer sheets again. They worked really well when I used them before.

Mimi Sews 05-15-2016 04:49 PM

I have never used dryer sheets for piecing, but I know lots of quilters do. I'm curious about the reason for not using them. Maybe it has something to do with the chemicals in them?

Melanie Rudy 05-15-2016 05:01 PM

I also like to use dryer sheets, especially for applique. In my home I only use the free and gentle sheets with no dyes or perfumes. They should be used and washed before you use them for applique or string piecing. Then I do believe (only my opinion) that they are fine. Some say the issue is the chemicals that are in the anti-static substance in the dryer sheet. I have read that they are bad for allergies. I have very bag allergies and have never had a problem using dryer sheets for applique. I use them on my clothes to begin with, so the logic of not using them for quilting makes no sense to me.

Tartan 05-15-2016 06:55 PM

The reason for not using dryer sheets is they bother people with allergies. If the quilt is for yourself or you use unscented sheets, then use what works for you.

love to sew 05-15-2016 08:14 PM

Well if allergies are the only reason, I think I will go back to using them. The ones that I have from a friend have been well used! And it will save me from having to tear off the paper. Thank you for your responses and I will check back to see if others have another reason not to use them.

love to sew 05-15-2016 08:26 PM

Melanie, I just went to your blog and enjoyed your tutorial on making a crazy patch the log cabin way, cutting in half and then your way of sashing and then putting them back together like you would a rail fence. Brilliant! Can't wait to do this will all my scraps! Thanks for sharing it.

ManiacQuilter2 05-16-2016 02:40 AM

It is because of all the stuff that is added for freshness of your laundry. Keep using telephone books. At least you are keeping them out of the land fill.

Stitchnripper 05-16-2016 04:11 AM

They will end up in the landfill anyway when torn away won't they? I'm lucky in that I haven't had any allergic response to fabric softener sheets

Melanie Rudy 05-16-2016 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by love to sew (Post 7550488)
Melanie, I just went to your blog and enjoyed your tutorial on making a crazy patch the log cabin way, cutting in half and then your way of sashing and then putting them back together like you would a rail fence. Brilliant! Can't wait to do this will all my scraps! Thanks for sharing it.

Thank you so much!

elnan 05-16-2016 06:34 AM

In 2014, I bought a copy of String Quilt Revival by Virginia Baker & Barbara Sanders. This book was one of those "Create with Nancy" ones with a DVD included. They use a non-woven nylon mesh stabilizer as foundation, which can be ordered from Nancy's Notions or the website of the authors. A short time after that I saw a discussion on here in which someone said they use the aisle runners bought in the party supplies section at places like Wallyworld. A friend keeps urging me to use the dryer sheets, and I have saved some, but so far not sewn onto one. All my laundry supplies are unscented and dye free. I prefer the look of string quilts above all others, and haunted Mary Johnson's site "Mary Quilts.com".
After a weekend of working on blocks for the cover quilt in Baker & Sanders' book, I came to the conclusion that string quilts are not as quick and easy as I thought.
If quilts are stuffed with polyester blends and W&N has a synthetic scrim, I cannot see a problem with dryer sheets as stabilizer. Just be careful when pressing directly onto the synthetic with a very hot iron.