Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Duh!!! I need help - suggestions! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/duh-i-need-help-suggestions-t262065.html)

PghPat 03-02-2015 08:33 PM

Duh!!! I need help - suggestions!

I know this is the place to come for help - you never fail. I am NOT a new quilter but I make some dumb mistakes new quilters don't even know how to make.

A while back I made a scrappy quilt with all small flowered fabrics. I've decided it isn't long enough - just don't have enough length to fit it over the pillow. So today I had this "good idea" - not. I still have lots of the fabric I used on the quilt so I can cut up the same fabrics into 5" squares and make scrappy pillow cases and I won't have to worry about the pillow tuck.....I can just put them on top of the quilt. Well, I got all the squares cut - 120 of them (for 2 cases) when as I was sewing them together the loud speaker went off in my head - loud and clear - "this won't work dummy". I planned on sewing them up and putting a band on the top to match the sashing in the quilt - never thinking about the fact that I would have all those raw edges on the inside of the pillow cases - what a nightmare when they needed washed.

So, can someone give me a suggestion. The only thing I can think of is sewing muslin to the back of the blocks I've sewn together - but then do I have to quilt them? I am going to bed and hope that the quilt fairy comes to help me out while I sleep.

This board is awesome and I never get tired reading and learning from all of you. Thanks bunches.

Pat

Pinkiris 03-02-2015 08:54 PM

How about an iron on interfacing?

MadQuilter 03-02-2015 08:57 PM

Just line the patched parts with a piece of muslin.

grammyp 03-02-2015 09:00 PM

I made pillow shams to go with a quilt. I pieced a quilt the size of the pillow with a border (batting and all) using muslin for the backing, quilted to match the quilt. Then I used 2 pieces of the same backing fabric as the quilt and "birthed" it leaving an envelope opening to insert the pillow. Hope this makes sense.

kristijoy 03-02-2015 09:01 PM

I like the idea of muslin as a 'backing' for each piece of the pillow. I would probably sew the squares together for a front piece, then back it with muslin. Then sew the squares together for a back piece, then back that with muslin. I think for good measure I would sew a few lines through it (like quilting it). I don't think it would have to be that dense (maybe a three or four vertical and a couple horizontal???) but that would prevent the whole thing from bunching up inside. It's more like you are making an 'interlining'.

Then after that I would sew the front & back pieces together with French seams and then apply the band.

I'm sure they will be beautiful!

Tartan 03-02-2015 09:11 PM

If you have a serger, you can serge all the raw edges. You can purchase a set of cheap pillowcases from the $store and use them as lining?

Feathers-N-Fur 03-02-2015 10:52 PM

I made pillowcases out of the left over scraps from my DD's quilt. I just sewed all the pieces together until I had a piece 27x45. Then I cut a piece of cheap clearance shelf fabric the same size and layered them wrong sides together. Then I just followed the pattern the same way I've done all my other pillow cases. My DD has been sleeping on these for 3 years now with no issues. I was concerned the seams would be uncomfortable, but I've slept on them and you don't even notice the seams.

BrendaK 03-02-2015 10:59 PM

This sounds really kool. Please be sure to show us when you finish them. BrendaK

DOTTYMO 03-02-2015 11:12 PM

505 spray may hold them still for you. Sorry we all do this it's a creative curve.

DresiArnaz 03-02-2015 11:13 PM

I am going to make a pillow sham for my twin Dresden using leftover blocks and I have a cheap store bought pillow sham I'm going to use as a pattern. I'll have two more blocks left-maybe round pillows with ruffles and lace and a zipper on the back.