Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Duhhhh. Loosen up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/duhhhh-loosen-up-t262632.html)

yngldy 03-14-2015 03:10 PM

Duhhhh. Loosen up

I'm trimming some blocks. My cutter seems dull. Thought it might need changing, but being lazy (having to move this to get to that, so I can open the drawer to get the blades, etc) I just kept cutting. Remembered a conversation about the blade having to turn as it cut. Looked at cutter and it was screwed all the way tight. What if I loosened it a little!? Ah ha! It worked a little better. Loosened it more, it worked even better. Well, you get the picture. Wonder how many good cutters I tossed thinking it was dull when maybe all it needed was a little room to do its job. We are taught to tighten something all the way; so try this before you toss. Couldn't hurt, might work!

Boston1954 03-14-2015 03:25 PM

Makes a person wish the things came with some kind of instructions. (oh wait, that would not help me. I hate reading them) lol

DresiArnaz 03-14-2015 03:26 PM

Mine wasn't turning easily so I took it apart, cleaned it real good and sprayed slicone on the inside before reassembling.

Much better!

DresiArnaz 03-14-2015 04:00 PM

Just wanted to add-I don't want anything loose on my cutter-those things are sharp!

ManiacQuilter2 03-15-2015 08:44 AM

OH, I totally agree with Boston 1954!!

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7127639)
Makes a person wish the things came with some kind of instructions. (oh wait, that would not help me. I hate reading them) lol

GingerK 03-15-2015 09:41 AM

Mine has a little curved 'washer' and I found that it does matter which way the curve faces. But it provides a tiny bit of space for the blade to turn. I have found the opposite problem--the screw holding the blade tends to loosen a bit over time. I've taken to checking each time I want to cut a bunch of stuff or am trimming a lot of blocks.

GailG 03-15-2015 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK (Post 7128585)
Mine has a little curved 'washer' and I found that it does matter which way the curve faces. But it provides a tiny bit of space for the blade to turn. I have found the opposite problem--the screw holding the blade tends to loosen a bit over time. I've taken to checking each time I want to cut a bunch of stuff or am trimming a lot of blocks.

I hate to prove my ignorance on certain subjects, but here goes: Duh -- so which way should it face. I can never remember which way it was originally.:o

DresiArnaz 03-15-2015 11:10 AM

I think the curvy middle faces outward. That's what seems to work for me. I tried it both ways and picked the one that works best.

I'm always making sure the screw is tight because I'm afraid of getting cut.

DresiArnaz 03-15-2015 11:17 AM

Oh I forgot to mention there's a thread on this board about caring for rotary cutters, scissors and shears

Rodney 03-15-2015 11:33 AM

I'm surprised you had that problem. It seems to me a rotary cutter would be designed so you can't over tighten the nut for the blade.
Rodney