Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   dull seam rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dull-seam-rippers-t264855.html)

P-BurgKay 05-06-2015 05:48 AM

I use a single edge razor blade most of the time.

kellen46 05-06-2015 08:24 AM

Here is an old trick I learned long ago with potato peelers....does anyone use them anymore???. If you are a righty or a lefty you will use one edge exclusively over the other...so find a sewer that is opposite handed to you and trade seam rippers. You will then be using the sharper, unused side. It will not sharpen a seam ripper but it will extend it's life just a bit.

chris_quilts 05-06-2015 08:57 AM

I use the round handled seam rippers. Love them. Seem to sharp longer than the old blue ones I used for years.

madamekelly 05-06-2015 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7186878)
Here is a picture of my 4 inch thread snips. I LOVE them for there extremely pointed tips that allow me to clip sewn stitches. The spring action is also so easy to use. The curved blade are nice for trimming close to an appliqué to trim threads without cutting the background. The name on the package is Infiniti made by H.A. KIDD and company limited and I got them at my LQS.[ATTACH=CONFIG]518911[/ATTACH]

I have an old pair of snips made mostly of plastic, that I had to buy as part of my tools, when I worked in a swimsuit factory over thirty years ago, and they are still my "go to" for taking out seams (using the clip every third stitch method also) and clipping threads.

klswift 05-06-2015 11:13 AM

I was watching a tutorial on alterations and the instructor mentioned she was working at her mothers and tried to use her seam ripper. She discovered her mother hadn't replaced her seam ripper in forever. She said for the couple bucks it costs - replace it. Got me thinking and I bought a new one the next day - YOU CAN NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE IT MAKES!!! I now have made myself the promise that every year for my birthday I am buying myself a $3 ripper.

Charleen DiSante 05-06-2015 11:14 AM

I don't do this, but a seamstress I met uses a razor blade. Yikes! There is a local scissors sharpener that goes to my LQS and Joann's as well. He does the rippers for $5. Ummmm, not good at math but maybe if I buy the $7. rippers? I'd like to learn as well so hope someone can shed some light.

cashs_mom 05-06-2015 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7186876)
When mine get dull I toss it. I find them on sale or clearance and buy several at a time.

That's what I do.

paoberle 05-06-2015 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7186721)
Sorry I can't helps as I don't use a seam ripper. I prefer to use my tiny pointed thread snips and cut every third thread on one side of the seam. I pull the thread on the other side after clipping and it's done.

I also just use a small pair of scissors. I have a pair of folding scissors that work perfectly. I find I do more damage than good with a seam ripper.

SewSewGal 05-06-2015 03:45 PM

I just purchased the electric seam ripper and it works great for those long pieces you have to unsew. For short stuff I still use a Clover seam ripper

Skylark53 05-06-2015 03:59 PM

I've found that none of the newer ones compare to my mother's old one from the 1960'sby Dritz. For some reason my newer (c.1980's) by Singer doesn't work as well, and I've heard that the newer Singer ones tend to be duller as well. That Dritz has gotten a lot of use and still very sharp. Maybe you can find an older one somewhere?