Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumb newbie question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-newbie-question-t251110.html)

jackilvsmath 07-31-2014 04:55 PM

Dumb newbie question

I've googled and can't figure this out. Can/should I use different quilt blocks in the same quilt? I'm thinking of using Star In A Star blocks and Nine patch blocks in the same quilt. Good or not?

dunster 07-31-2014 05:01 PM

I think quilts are always more interesting when they have more than one type of block. It's not uncommon at all. Go for it.

cabbagepatchkid 07-31-2014 05:01 PM

I think it would look wonderful!
"Sampler" quilts have many types of blocks in a single quilt.

roguequilter 07-31-2014 05:10 PM

what you are describing, different blocks in same quilt, is called a "sampler". they can all be same size, or vary in size. they can be all the same two blocks as you suggest, or a number of different blocks. you can even do just one block and vary fabric/color placement. it would be like numerous different blocks. they are great for using up large scraps or a pile of fat quarters from sale binging. also, i am reading in some of the online threads that fat quarters are considered scraps and are all filed away together. makes sense to me, so i started putting fat quarters, and fat eights in with large scraps. what ever, what you describe is a classic style of quilt. so, when you search, try just doing an image search of "album quilts". and yes, i think star in a star w 9-patch blocks would be beautiful & classic.

don't forget to share your journey in pics posted here, plus the finished quilt or quilt top. and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.

squirrelfood 07-31-2014 05:13 PM

A quilt should be your personal work of art. You can do it any way you want to.

lynnie 07-31-2014 05:35 PM

if you google or bing quilts, you'll see more than one block in at least half of them, aka sampler quilts.

Jeanne S 07-31-2014 05:35 PM

No question is a dumb question! Yes you can mix blocks in a quilt, each is an individual work of art and you are the artist! A sampler quilt has many different blocks in it. Other quilts use two or more different blocks repeated to make whole new designs. Whatever you want to do is the right way for you.

QUILTNMO 07-31-2014 05:38 PM

go for it nice to expermint!!!

FroggyinTexas 07-31-2014 05:45 PM

Google sampler quilts and you will find pictures of quilts with blocks of all kinds in the same quilt. That's what makes them samplers. Using the two blocks you describe is nothing unusual. And get over the idea that your question is "dumb!" If you don't know the answer there will be many other people who don't know either and who will be relieved that someone asked. froggyintexas

Terri D. 07-31-2014 06:27 PM

Of course! The fun part is finding a creative way to put them together in a single layout. Enjoy the process.